skinny snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
hi kids,
ok tim thinks my snake is too skinny and now i look at him i sorta think he is a lil skinny but he's always kinda been that way - just wondering what everyone else thinks? this is a blurry pic cos it was taken in the dark but u can see the main body section.

he's only 11 months old. he eats about every 3 weeks - sometimes 2. eats fuzzy rats atm

looks in proportion to me, depends on age. Maybe if you are worried about his size try to feed him small rats as they bulk them up a bit, he looks around yearling size compared to the thermostat you have behind him.
Although I pump feed my olives, and my younger macs and some were the same size as my 3 year olds maccies(which were fed slower)the 3 year olds were the only ones that produced eggs even though they all bred. Some people will say size dictates when pythons breed (have found it to be untrue in my instance) but male diamonds are smaller than females, so in 3 years he should be a good size anyway.

Looks OK to me, maybe just a tad on the skinny side but not anything to worry about. This is, of course, just my opinion which is absolutely worthless to a lot of people :)

He looks fine to me. I have a 4y.o. coastal that has always been petite...it's just her :)
He looks happy and healthy.
You're a good snake mummy!

phew! fanx kids. i actually thought he was in pretty good nick til just then when i thought "uh oh maybe he is skinny!"
like his main body part is thicker than his neck but its kinda the same down most of the body and i thought maybe he should be a bit thicker in the middle :?

zoe said:
he's only 11 months old. he eats about every 3 weeks - sometimes 2. eats fuzzy rats atm

Maybe just bump him up to once every week and a half until it starts to get a bit colder, even though you keep the heat up to him, in Vic he might go off his food.

zoe said:
ok new better pic....

He looks fine, really people can only compare them to other diamonds (even though they all grow at different rates), having only olives and macs now my eye is a bit out as they are pretty much slugs and a different body shape but for a yearling, no prob........
btw how long is he, i think my yearlings were around 90cm

yay! fanx! the other thing that had occured to me was that our new snake we're picking up sat week is only a big longer than him but much thicker. she's a coastal...dunno whats goin on there. but i have only seen her once so i could be forgetting how long she is lol. we will see tomorrow when we go feed her i guess.

zoe said:
yay! fanx! the other thing that had occured to me was that our new snake we're picking up sat week is only a big longer than him but much thicker. she's a coastal...dunno whats goin on there. but i have only seen her once so i could be forgetting how long she is lol. we will see tomorrow when we go feed her i guess.

usually coastals are pretty good feeders and grow quite quickly...Are you keeping them together????? If so just make sure that you definately have a pair (not necessarily for breeding b4 anyone says otherwise), two females are cruisy but sometimes you may have a prob with males. I introduced a pair of coastals to each other at 10months, but just did it over a few days and they were fine, just made sure they were well fed/fed separately.

nah wouldnt wanna keep a coastal and diamond together incase some accidents happened when they hit puberty lol. my current snake is male and the new one is female but she is also bigger than he is which i dont really like the idea of in the same cage. i like feeding in the enclosure too so i think 'll keep all my future snakes separate!
fanx for ur help

Hi Zoe, sorry its OT but i thought you might like this cute kitty! :D It can fly!!!!
Flying_cat_49101510.jpg

what the hell? does it have 2 tails or sumthin? its still cute :D

He probably looks thin because most captive snakes are fat. You never find a fat snake in the wild...

Zoe,it is a good idea not to over feed diamonds.Personally i think he looks fine.
Most diamond breeders i know feed their guys fairly slowly.
Think stops them from health prob's and also will not stretch the scales therefore giving you a higher yellow colour.
I reckon just keep feeding him as you are.
By the way he is a beautful diamond.
He is a boy isn't he.Hope so cause that's all i have called him.

looks great to me, snake that are too fat are unhealthy, the diamond looks just fine :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back