Worms!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greebo

Snakologist
Reaction score
OH MY GOD!!
This is disgusting!One of my diamonds has worms!
This is bad, very bad.I have to wait until the morning to try and get her to a vet.
She has been off her food for about two months so I have been keeping an eye on her.I have had snakes go a lot longer without food so I was not overly concerned.....I wish now I had of take her to the vets.
When I was checking water bowls tonight I discovered a very runny and smelly poo in the corner of the enclosure.Then to my horror I noticed that about an inch of her intestine was sticking out!
PANIC STATIONS!
She finally passed another poo and there were three large worms as well.
Her intestine looks swollen and infected but seems to be retracting back inside her.
She is a large snake, about 7ft, even if she survives I am worried about the damage that has been done to her internally.
That's it, I am going to worm my entire collection tomorrow even thought they all look healthy.

Bad news that is.Doesn't sound too good.Do you have an idea where the worms came from?

Yeah..the guy I bought her off must of been feeding her live food or badly prepared frozen. I havent fed her.
Good thing she has been quarantined from the other snakes.
I bought 3 other diamonds from this guy. One had canker and eventually died. I knew it had canker when I bought it so I don't blame him for that one. The other two look in perfect health and are eating regularly but they will be getting wormed with all my other snakes.

I only feed frozen/thawed for that very reason.Can your animals get worms from badly prepared frozen?Hope it turns out ok for the diamond.Good luck!!!

Hi Greebo, go to your vet and ask for some panacur, he will usually give you quite a bit of it so you can do your collection. Ask for the doasge as i cant for the life of me rememebr it. You get a stringe and inject the panacur into a rat or mouse and feed as normal, then repeat again in 2 weeks and then 2 weeks after that. Make sure they have suffient drinking water after as i got told it drys? then out a lot and they can get dehydrated.I would at the very least do the other diamond that came from him as well.

Hope the vet as good news.

montys last worming was an injection of @ivermectin. just the one shot, sounds alot less stressful than the panacur [dehydration etc]. which is more common usage?

I was wandering what Monty had. But seriously. We had this discussion here before, and I said that My snakes get wormed ewery year. Many people turn against me on that one.
Your situation Grebo proove, that worming is important. Just bit of security for people who purchasing new snakes time to time.

Should have mentioned hes getting that shot 6 monthly..............unless i see evidence of worms of course! [now you can stop wondering slatey :D ]

Hi Wattso, the vet said ivermectin also works but doesnt kill everything, on one of my jungles that came from interstate it had one dose of ivermectin followed by a course of panancur. Ivermectin can also be used to eradicate mites on a snake.

Worms!

If the snake is not eating can the above mentioned Ivermectin or Panacur be injected directly into the snake, or does it have to be through food?
Is it best to get a vet to do this or can they just supply the medication?
I have a brisbane carpet that has not eaten for about two months, and now I am thinking maybe there could be more to it that just loss of appetite!
What do you guys think of Worm-Rid (by Reptile Science)? I have seen it in a few pet shops up here.

There is a product called Worm rid by Reptile Science that does everything including tapeworms, is very cheap and dosage is easy .4ml per kilo, saves going to the vet, can just inject it into frozen rodent, or for lizards just syringe it into their mouth.
cheers
meg

is there an age at which you should start worming, or is it right from the get go ??? (i have a four year old that has never been wormed, but she is healthy, and i am careful as to what i feed her, but this post has got me buzzin)

so now im not allowed to post comment on anything?...........i was asking about wether its more used than ivermectin. I chose to ignore slateys remark till you piped up , [insert "finger" smiley here]

btw.thanks for info Jungles, didnt know that. :)

Just inicent joke Watso. Monty is so popular here on APS. If I do not here about him day or two. I think that he died mate. :p

I was just trying to cover my **** Phil. If I had of just said she got worms from being feed live someone would of chipped in and said otherwise.
I really appreciate the pissing contest this thread has degraded into once again. My python will be operated on tomorrow to see if she can be saved. At best she will become a loved pet and never be bred from but I don't think the out look for her is too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back