breeding for money

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkgone

Reaction score
ive got 2 mates who want to breed snakes for money(dont get me wrong they like snakes but want to make money).They told me today that they would like to do this but there not sure if theyd make much money.I didnt know what to say so i thought id ask here.What do u think?thanks

i reckon you can make a fair bit once you get set up (the expensive part)... like snakes are hardly cheap so you could make a fair profit...
nev

Most of all they have to know something about snakes.
They don't sound like they do; otherwise they would not have to ask.

Most bredders i know put all their money back into their animals.

There Are 20 Diamond hatchlings for sale at the Herp Shop,
$ 5000.00
That might be something for them to consider.

Most bredders i know put all their money back into their animals.

exactly, well put... my only reasons for deciding to breed and sell my snakes is to be able to put more money into new specimens or enclosures etc.

All I can say is these guys want to be sure of what this will all actually entail. Do these guys have any kind of 'affection' for snakes? Good luck to them if they truly have an interest that they are looking to make some money off. Too many times though we have seen the end result, not just restricted to herps, when people decide to breed an animal without really doing their homework.

I reckon if you have a top hobby like we do keepin herps and can support it by breedin that's unreal, and if you can make a few $$$ on the side it's a bonus.To make money breedin herps while still maintain the collection in optimum conditions and bein consistant takes a lot of dedication and i take my hat off to these people.

I've come across so many people who thouht it would be easy money breedin herps who have ended up sellin their so called breedin stock because it was a lot harder than they'd imained and that's just the husbandry side of thins.

I think most people breed enough to keep their collection going, some people made alot of money in the early days when not alot of herp was available, its about timing eg boydes forest dragon first person to breed sold them for $950 each (mow$350) as more people add new herp to collections and start to breed them the price drops. I thnk smaller collection have a better chance to make money due to low overheads once properly set up. I had a freind that was the same spent heaps of money setting up but didnt breed a bloody thing...as most people know its not that easy to put animals together and 6 weeks down the track you have juvs, its not like cats and dog.

Do the relise for a start what they are getting themselves into
There is bit to rearing young rep's.
Making sure they are incubated right not to mention getting a breeding pair to start with ,first feed,then normal feeding,first shed properly housing them till they sell,and if they don't sell would they be prepared to keep them till their are.There is probably more to think of then just that.
But saying that I'm sure oneday everyone would love to witness this all first hand.And a good way to nuy more stuff.
as most ppl say the usually goes straight back into buying bigger,better new things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back