feeding???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

This saturday i am getting my first snake. First of all i am wondering how you should defrost the pinkies ie just leave them out for a day, in the microwave or in water? And secondly is it a week i have to wait untill i can hold it?

Hi ether,

I'm by no means and expert. I've only kept snakes for a couple of years, but I think that a week is a nice length of time to let them settle in, and that the wait is worth it to make your new Baby as comfortable as possible. It's great to do a lot of observing during that week too if it is your first snake, you'd be surprised how much your can learn about their habits and moods just by watching.

With all my snake food, I defrost in warm water. For a pinkie 5 mins would definately do it.
Just prod it with the tongs to make sure and serve it up is what I do. :)

i like to gently squeeze its belly for a few seconds before i feed it also - that way if its still cold in the centre u will feel it and know it needs a little longer.

Hey thanx thats all i needed to know. Only 4 days to go till i get my sanke!!!

I play "prod the rat" too, to make sure its completely thawed. I use hot water and change it 3 times over 30 minutes. ~cheers ..p.s. heres my little one feeding monty.[No steve irwin jokes please]lol
hayley_feed.sized.jpg

Usually you will defrost pinkies an hour before you feed the snake. And yes you will need to leave them for a week to settle in. Also handle the snake 5 to 15mins a day if possible.
I got my first snake 3 weeks a go. You will enjoy looking after the snake and learning about them.
For the first year of the snakes life, do you keep it out of hibernation or to you let it hibernate during winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back