Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
im intrested in reptile photograph, but the book that teachs how is 25yrs old. does anyone know what camera, lenses ect to use

I am using just normal digital camera, so I do not have idea mate

Me either, but I can tell you what NOT to use. dont bother with dolphin digital pen cam, they are crap, no focus....see my pics in gallery or latest in "feeding" thread. always blurred/grainy.
buy a good one. lol

Are you talking SLR cameras or compact digitals Tommo? Actually there are a couple of good SLR Digitals on the market now.

I have a Fugi finepix zoom 4800. Its heaps good, I enjoy reptile photography as well have a few good pics will upload soon. I would make sure the camera has a macro on it too

I have a digital and SLR, but it depends on what type of photography(ie. Macro or zoom etc.) you want to get into, probably better quality pic's with SLR, and lots of lenses to choose from, you can get real good quality digital cameras, even ones that you can change the lenses, but there very expensive!
I think Fuscus knows alot about these things, as he has taken alot of wildlife photo's including many reptiles, I am sure he will respond, if not PM him.

Neil

Most of the photos here ( http://150.101.58.70/ ) are taken with a Nikon coolpix 900. The camera was a top of the range pocket digital. With accesories it cost about 3 BHPs. It is now obsolete but still a very good camera.
I have also a new Nikon D100, a SLR digital that looks and behaves like a "real" camera. In burst mode it takes 3 photos for the first second then 2 photos after that. Bare bones (with 28mm lense) will cost about 2 1/3 to 3 BHPs but with telephoto lenses, 1gig flashcard etc you wont get much change from 5 BHPs.
Plus it has an add on that allows remote IR control, thats another BHP.
This is the store I brought it from http://svc003.bne012i.server-web.com/catalogue/dirtcheap/public/home.ehtml . they were very slow on delivery but I don't think that it was there fault.

looks like an amazing camera fuscus :shock: I'm jealous lol! Have you used it much yet? Initial reaction to it? Does it really just combine best of SLR and digital, or is there a downside?

I have a couple of pages ready to place up on the web with photos from the D100. I try and pull my finger out for the week end and put it up. I got a very good photo of a silvereye ( small bird, lives in bushes you know, snake food) in flight and another of a corella in flight. The telephoto has a macro function that works well at 1.5 meters away from the subject. Got some good skink photos while standing up. In lower light photos can get a bit grainy but the embedded speed flash works well.

Its big point is that it behaves like a normal camera, press the button and the photo is taken instantly.

IMHO it is a very good camera and worth the money, the only downside I have found so far is that it is heavy, I damaged my arm carring it on a 30 - km walk in the flinders ranges in November and the arm hasn't recovered :(

Geez! Some sort of carrybag sounds like it's in order. When you do get those photos up, let us know, I'd be really interested in seeing them!

What lenses did you get with it?

The package came with a 28mm Nikkor lens, its OK but not for wildlife. I have a Sigma 300mm telephoto/Macro lens that I kept from my film days with the intention of eventually placing it on a digital :)
As for a carry bag, you can't use them when wild life photographing, some time you just get an instant to get THE photo so the camera must always be readly ( case in point http://150.101.58.70/thumbnails.php?id=Bowerbird_Regent_Bowerbird&num=03 ).
I have purchased a monopod and I will use that to carry the camera.

Love the way everything is priced fuscus give me a giggle.
You seem to know alot about this stuff so I'll ask you off the bat,
What if i can only spend say 1 Adult bredls.
Maybe 1 BHP at the most.
I have no idea when it comes to camera's and really think it would be a waste of cash if i spent too much.
Cheers
Rob

if i hadnt made this post i would have gone into a shop and said that i needed a camera. i didnt have a clue what a SLR was, but i just did a little reasearch and i think ill go with a SLR, but i still dont know what a the difference between a macro and a room is. the price range is under $600(cant think of any reptiles that price)

Camera terms for newbies
SLR = single lens reflex , means you view your target through the actual lens. SLRs normally have interchangeable lens.
Macro = extreme close up photos of small objects like skinks. Note recommended for Slatestar, this site would fill up with scat close ups (shudder) :)
Zoom = ability to zoom in on faraway objects. Good for bird photography or photographing subjects without them being aware.
Digital zoom = advertising term or con - ignore.
Pixels = number of dots that make up a digital image 5.3 megapixel means a photo about 3000 by 2000.
My computer monitor is set on 1280 by 1024. I have blown up 2 mg pictures (1600 x 1200) to A2 size but that takes an exceptional photo. (Note : on my web site all the photos have been reduced to 800 by 600 as I eventually intend to sell them). The bid advantage of a big photo is that you can get clear images of sections of the photo
My first digital ( recommended starting camera )
I don't really know much about $600 cameras as they are not in my price range :) and I am strongly attracted towards Nikon. Digital SLRs start at about $2,500 and are a bit pricey for a first camera. I've had 2 Nikon digitals ,I get very good photos and they are both strongly made and still working (I have had no trouble with any Nikon I have owned) The Nikon cool pix 4500
( http://svc003.bne012i.server-web.com/catalogue/dirtcheap/cache/item-3267public.html?cache=no ) at almost $900 is the modern version of my older cameras. You can twist the camera so that you photograph your subject from strange angles. My version of the camera could take clear photos with the subject 12 cm from the lens, great for close ups.
Its cons were that it chewed batteries, I have 40 rechargeable batteries. And forget alkaline batteries (energizers), they can't that the high drain and conk out in ten minutes (but it looks like the camera comes with a Lon battery, which is good). Also most cheaper digitals have a lag between pressing the button and the photo actually being taken. I took 56 photos of this skinny coastal http://150.101.58.70/thumbnails.php?id=Snake_Carpet_Python trying to get one with his tongue out. Oh, and the snake was one of the longest I?ve ever seen, over three meters.

Two rules with digitals.
1/Get heaps of memory. MY D100 has a Igig CF card. Thes means it will hold 303 3mg Jpg images.
2/Always photograph at the max resolution. It would be horrible to get THE shot only to find that the image is too small to be viewable.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that Fuscus, I learn't something there as I am sure many did.
Photography is a wonderful hobby and enables people to see pictures of things that maybe they would never normally ever get to see.

Cheers,
Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back