Snake Handler bitten by Taipan

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROWNS

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just heard on the news that a snake handler at Australia Zoo was bitten by a taipan and taken to hospital.Didn't ive a name.

I've always wondered that if you keep hots that sure enouh sooner or later you're bound to et bitten by one :?:

Shame to hear someone got bitten hope it wasnt wes. What ya said about keeping hots long enough browns, i dunno if thats always true, I know of 2 people who have been keeping/handling hots daily for over 25 years, but then they are still keeping hots, so ya never know what could happen tomorrow

Really wouldnt wish it on anyone, even crikey. good point fuscus, bound to have plenty of antivenom.

Thats a good point fuscus, does anyone know if AUstralia Zoo has their own anti-venom reserves for emergencies like some other places do??

I don't know about QLD but Adelaide Zoo is required to keep anti-venomine for all the species it keeps. Some AV costs them $17k and needs to be replaced every three months.
Anyhow the zoo proberly had AV but more importantly, they would have had 30 people trained in first-aid with snakebite major within cooee of the incident.

Cool thanks fuscus, yea i rekon its more important to have people trained in snake bite first aid then antivenom for every species at a place like that, cheaper too! :)

Give me your address and I will :p

Thanks Fuscus, now I know a little more, will be good when more details come out

At least that sorts out a few things; bet he's got some great pictures of that thumb :shock:

Hey Baritji,25 years keepin hots and not bein bit once is pretty impressive record.Is there anyone else who knows of hot keepers who haven't been bitten :?: I'm talkin people who've kept em for at least 5 years or somethin.I've been keepin pythons on and off since i was 11 and couldn't count the times i've been bitten.Probably can't count how many times even in the last 6 months.

I wonder why the bloke who was bitten was taken to hospital if they had antivenom etc.Is that standard practice :?:

coming into contact with hots, someone will get bitten, snakes can be unpredictable at the best of times, and tiapans are big and bloody fast as well, I havent been bitten yet, came very close :? (touch wood) and I dont wish to be.

yep, id say coastal taipans would be the easiest to get bitten by. so quick and they work things out quicker than others.

what i dont get is wen ppl called snakes poisonous. in that article is says the taipan is one of the most poisonous snakes in the world.

its not like they inject ratsac or something

cheers, jono

Only doctors can administer antivenene, and then usually in an ICU due to the massive risks involved. Maybe they have the antivenene stored at their nearest hospital?
Browns, everyone gets bitten by their pythons. Becasue you know it aint gonna kill you, you take the risks. With hots, you are a lot more careful, use hooks and stuff like that.

I have read some manuel, am drunk atm so cantg remember name, but it syas how hot keepers can administer anutvenmom therselves, and people in America do it, I saw it on tv :p. either break the law and live, ot just die, not a hard choice..

I've always wondered that if you keep hots that sure enouh sooner or later you're bound to et bitten by one

No. I don't believe that there is any reason to get bitten by a hot. Use of the proper tools and good safety procedures should prevent a bite. Just don't get cocky...

Browns, everyone gets bitten by their pythons. Becasue you know it aint gonna kill you, you take the risks

Speak for yourself. Small ones sure, Burms and Retics that's a different story. :wink:

Kevyn you will probablr loose an arm with the herp you have...rotting flesh smells bad... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back