Yellow-faced Whip Snake Info?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollock

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, im just curious about the Yellow-faced Whip Snake, when i was about 10 - 12 years old i i found this Yellow-faced Whip Snake and handled it and stuff not really having much knowledge of snakes then, it wasnt aggressive or anything but it had these fits for some reason it was like rolling onto its back and flexing its stomach upward and kept twisting a turning i wasnt holding him tight as if he was trying to get free or any thing. I' m just curious of what this behaviour could of meant.

I have found heaps of whips and they all react differently. A few have done wat u r explaining, aswell as sum common tree snakes. I think it is just to help them escape wen they do the death rolls.

Several months after i purchased my first ever snake, i came home from work to find a YFWS in my then-partner's hand. I couldn't beleive it!
I asked him what he was doing and he said "I found this snake at work and thought you'd like it"
It was a nice gesture, but let's just say i wasn't happy
(he had NO idea what the snake was and whether or not it was venomous - idiot!)

Hey Iluvs, he wasn't an idiot, it was just that his love for you overode any fear of personal danger or death just so he could see your smile :)

LOL Well that's a different theory.
But i certainly didn't smile.
This is the same ex-boyfriend that was recently attacked by my scrub.

Up untill i read this book a couple of weeks ago, i was sure yfws were colubrids.

I've had a look through my library on the YFWS bite and here is what I have found.
The Qld museum says "Potential danger low, but in some circumstances (e.g. where multiple bites are concerned or where the victim is a child) bites should be treated with caution. venom weakly neurotoxic.
THe Ehmann book says the Demansia Genus are reluctant to bite but a bite from a larger specimum should be treated as a health risk but doesn't say anything about the YFWS bite.
The Cogger book has a photo but no text :?
I have also seen Rob Bredl (on TV) being bitten by on and he just sucked the venom out (can anyone spell placebo?)
IMHO we should avoid being bitten, they have a neurotoxic venom, you could end up with loss of feeling or control of the affected limb and there is always the possiblity of a bad reaction. But chances are you would only have mild symptons
I do agree that they are a very beautiful animal and is proberly one of the few hots I would keep but I have to ask : Does it count as a hot or is it only luke-warm?

has any one got a pic?
cant recal if iv seen one sounds like a nice snake but

YFWS are generally a pretty calm snake to handle. The wild specimans i have handled have been pretty calm but as far as i am aware not much work has been done into their venom toxicity. I treat all elapids with respect whether its an eastern brown or a YFWS. Body language is a very important tool for anyone dealing with any snake.

Juvie YFWS SEEM to move very quickly, especially when they are trying to get away from you.

Alexahnder

My YFWS has never really attempted to bite in the 2 years i have had him. Unless he is warmed up and hungry he is generally easy to handle. I hav a pic of one in my gallery that i found in the bush around my house. My brother got bitten by a baby and he sed that it really hurt but apart from that and a bit of swelling, nothing really happened.

Hey Alexander and Ackie have you guys got some kind of club happening with the avatars?
How much can one expect to pay for a YFWS and are they hard to come by? I'd love to have one but have never seen them advertised.

LOL i think i'm the only LTG member left....

Maybe its time to join LTH...

Anyway YFWS aren't very common in captivity. If any are offered for sale i'll buy it pretty quickly..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back