Overheating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kerry

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am about to go away for 2 weeks and I know that my maccie will be fine by herself (will feed her and top up her water bowls before I go), but with the temps that Sydney has been having if we leave the apartment closed up will she get too hot?

Don?t know your set-up at home, kerry, but I was just away for a while and was able to leave the bathroom windows half open on both ends of the house for air circulation, but that?s upstairs and was burglar safe.
Also I use thermostats in my enclosures, which helps.
Today it?s 40degr. Outside and the enclosures are about 30deg. which would be just fine for a Maccie, I don?t think it will get much hotter than today.
Geez, I hope not anyway.
Make sure the Waterbowl is big enough for a dip, if maccie feels the need
for it.

Good idea if you can to also put the enclosure on the floor, if it's not already, as this is the coolest part of any room.

Just thinking might work could be dangerous though i am thinking of a small fan plugged into a timer that is set to turn on through the middle of the day.Mainly for some air circulation may cool it down a little.
My fan runs all the time and i have had no drama's,but you do here of houses burning down but that doesn't stop me at night having the fan on from 3:00pm-7:00am the next morning then again the next etc.
Just a suggestion, maybe not the best one though.

My wife just recommended to me to buy aircondition to controll temperature in room the cages are. What a sweethard she is.

I have to investigate my misus motive now after you guys put bit of light to it

Kerry : not such a good idea to advertise that you are going to be away for 2 weeks! Open slather for not-so-nice people to visit your home and sample your property. :shock: You don't want to repeat Slatey's experience do you? :x

In any case, to answer your question, I think it largely depends on the type of snakes you keep. Some (such as olives) have no trouble with a bit of heat, but then again, it depends on how hot your snake room gets and what temperature the snake can handle. Does it usually stay cooler than the outside temp? I like both of African's suggestions, and Artie's suggestion of the waterbowl is a good one too.

When I went on holiday at Christmas, I left two drink containers and a large water bowl for them to soak in, in each enclosure. I saw how much Slatey's snakes like the waterbowl, so thought it was a good idea. I was very worried when I heard how hot it was in Sydney, but I got back to find them all ok, and one of them actually almost fully immersed in the water bowl (no, no mites thank God!).

Ideally, get someone you trust to check on them on hotter days. How do you handle hot days now? A couple of large drink bottles of water in the freezer can help, and if you can get a trusted friend to check on them, they can swap the bottles over, at the "cooler" end of the enclosure. I usually wrap the frozen water bottles in a towel so the snakes don't "stick" to the ice.

... just a few thoughts... hope it helps. :wink:

Thanks for all your advice guys, I think I will move her onto the floor in the bathroom (as the tiles keep it nice and cool and it gets a nice breeze in the afternoon even with the window locked mostly shut). I have a ceramic heat light linked up to a thermostat so if the temperature drops she will be fine; one of the water bowls is big enough for her to have a swim in; and I will pop some water bottles in the freezer so that if it gets really hot, my friend who is coming around to feed the fish can put it in with her.
Lutzd - I don't think I have any of my details on this site (or anywhere on the net as far as I know), so aside from the fact that I live in Sydney, I don't think I have to worry about someone breaking in (touch wood).

Havent had my heat come on at all over the last week or two, my house is always cooler inside, max temp 30. bit hot for the fish and turts [frozen water bottles in tanks] but fine for the snake, even at night. maybe you could just leave the heat turned off along with the water bowl ideas? cooler periods happen in nature, temps fluctuate [provided the snake can access cool area should be fine]

how do coastals handel exes heat as up here in brisbane its been hot as hell and my unit get twice as hot ass i have to shut all the windows

mine just goes to the floor/lowest level of his house and stays there. if it got much above 30 deg in his house he'd probly soak in his water or id give him a swim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back