Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamh

Reaction score
7:30 ring ring - hello I was given your number and told you could come and remove a big diamond python from my backyard. Ok I'll be there in about half an hour (must have a shower to wake up and a cup of tea to get me going).

The snake was up inside a pergola roof in a normal backyard. After about 20 minutes of unwrapping the snake half a dozen times and unscrewing part of the roof to lift the tin I managed to extricate this litttle beatuy. She weighed a ton (well about 7kg) and looked great so I bagged her and headed off to the release site in a bit of forest that should support her well.

I've had a few calls lately mostly RBBS and diamonds and a 1mtr green tree snake but this was the hardest to remove. Eaten by early morning mozzies and sweating like a pig by the time I left. She was very docile. The porperty owners hadn't seen one before (in their 7 years at the property) and it looks like the family down the road that used to keep a lot of chooks (just recently moved) must have been supporting this diamond with a good supply of rats (if my chook pen is anything to go by). I guess the family's move dried up the food supply so the snake moved to the new house.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/albums/album47/DPRel.sized.jpg

Hi grahamh alias Snake Catcher! Job well done Mate! Nice specimen and a good pic too.

Howya going anyway? Dont see you much in here anymore.

Cheers Artie

Nice snake, a great way to spend the morning!

Artie said:
Hi grahamh alias Snake Catcher! Job well done Mate! Nice specimen and a good pic too.

Howya going anyway? Dont see you much in here anymore.

Cheers Artie

G'day Artie - I''m still around - can't log on while I'm at work anymore and when I'm at home I'm flat out building two new enclosures (I'm really pleased with the way they've turned out). Anyway you won't get rid of me too easily.

The animal rescue stuff is really interesting (I've travelled over 1200 km since August 03 on rescues) it's great when you can help out a bit.

G (in the background for a while)

Oh Wow! She's beautiful Graham - well done!

Phil

the release is hard but that's obviously the NSW NPWS regulation for just as obvious reasons. The hardest thing I've found is releasing it somewhere (within 15k) in a place where the snake can survive yet not be a problem to others. This is especially true with the venomous ones as nobody wants you to release them near their properties (which is understandable). The other thing I make a habit of is the photo identification of each snake so that I can show that none of the rescued snakes are the ones I have under licence. But when you get a pythin that big and that healthy there is a definate responsibility to find it a viable habitat for it to continue to thrive. I tell you what though I just love rescuing snakes, everyone ends up happy. I also had a piece of advice from a well respected herpetologist and well published and that was 'never miss the opertunity to handle a snake'. He said that in reference to snake handling with a view to rescue. It's the only way to get the experience.

Nic this lady makes snap look like a little baby but I hope that as she grows that she and her siblings (Artie, David and the lovely Nic) will grow to be as magnificent and healthy as this one.

To the Hammer

the best way to get into it is to join your local wildlife rescue - eg WIRES, NATF, Animal ARK etc. Do the basic animal rescue course and then the snake handling stuff. It's really rewarding and as I've mentioned before I thank Laura (Pinkie) for the inspiration.

There was also a GTS that was injured - lost some skin but also his hemipenes were hanging out so I kept him overninght and he went to the snake coordinator today for recovery/vet. Doesn't look too promising though. :(
G

nice work grahamh!
today i went into work and my boss came up to me and sed that yesterday she was standing out the front of the hardware (my work) and i guy pulled up across the road, pulled a 7 foot carpet python out of a bag and dumped it in the grass beside the road. This really pissed me off seeing as that carpet pythons arent native to my area and that he picked a really bad spot to release the poor snake.

Hi Ackie

I think you'd be in the WIRES area. I would get in contact with WIRES (check they cover your area first) and reports the incident. If you don't get any assurance that they will follow up on it I'd escalate it to the NPWS. I doubt that if it was an illegal owner dumping a snake that they'd do it so publically. It is possible that it was just a member of the public moving a snake.

If any WIRES people for that area see this message maybe they could comment and suggest an appropriate action. I do know that if I did that I'd be out on my ear before you could say Liasis Olivaceous Olivaceous.

G

Hey Graham, when I read this post I thought "wow, a 7kg diamond, that's huge." Then I looked at the pic..... I reckon that's an intergrade. Based purely on pattern I reckon it aint pure, but combined with the size I say "no way!"

:roll: the inlands dont get as big as coastals do they? der me. told you i was often wrong. oh yeh...... and i want one of whatever that is. ty
Mud

Ahh, ok that looks like a diamond. :S
In the first pic, I thought she had saddles, my bad :)

what are saddles? and dont diamonds have them?......i know horses do. and while im at it, whats the difference between a Morelia amethystine and other Morelias? why arent they called carpets?
MM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back