It's not cruel!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but the Dingo is not protected fauna in Australia
As far as I'm aware, H.frenatus is the only Hemidactilus found in Oz so there genetics are hard to question. But how much dingo is actually in a dingo these days.

I do suspect that she was a wild caught. She has only one skin liump that would be from eating wild frogs. The person I got her of said he caught wild lizards and she was also supposed to eat goldfish,she has looked at the goldfish before,she even went into the water bucket after them but didn't seem to want to catch one. I will look into buying taddies up here thanks Fuscus. The skink in the mouth of a pinky didn't work unfortunately,but the beauty of these snakes is enough for me to find a resolution to this problem. All that said she is still a healthy snake and I am maintaining her weight but not really putting weight on.Would captive bred frogs have tapeworms? I think the best idea is starting a colony of frogs to feed to them as one day I would love to breed this species. Anybody suggest a breed of frog?

greentree frog. there cool. and i have full stops. she has one skin worm that is the larvae of tape worms ya need to get them flushed out with worm rid and if ya want the dead skin worm removed take it to a vet and it will be cut out.

Yeah she has been wormed and that is excactly what the vet said that I took her to,but it is only one very small lump.Does anybody in the Sydney area have a breeding trio of Green Tree Frogs for sale?

i have heard that breeding green tree frogs is alot harder than it sounds. a book i have on breeding green tree frogs says: you either need an automatic misting system in the cage to stimulate the natural breeding and wet cycles or some hormonal injections to stimulate sexual activity. ask your vet to get you some human chorionic gonadotophin or luteinising hormone releasing factor. both males and females need to be injected with 10 micrograms into the space between the skin of the back and underlying muscles, with a 21 guage needle.
hope that helps.

Ah ha caught out Fuscus,only doin' it for money then hey(lol no offence intended). Now she is getting a bit more hungry I might persist with goldfish,seeing as how a few of you guys can do it. I just thought if there is an easy/invaluable frog species to breed that it could be a good option. The new borns shouldn't have any worms,so that should be good for the snake right?Plus it is closer to nature for them. :?

Adam said:
Ah ha caught out Fuscus,only doin' it for money then hey(lol no offence intended). Now she is getting a bit more hungry I might persist with goldfish,seeing as how a few of you guys can do it. I just thought if there is an easy/invaluable frog species to breed that it could be a good option. The new borns shouldn't have any worms,so that should be good for the snake right?Plus it is closer to nature for them. :?

Maybe fuscus meant that after putting in the work to breed and raise them he wouldn't want to see them end up as food (could be wrong)

ha guess i was wrong..........

The maths are
6 GTF = 1 coastal.
40 GTF = 1 BHP
2 GTF = 1 bottle of tequilia

There must be more cost effective ways to feed the snake.

Now many people disagree with this but finches are included in their diet, I am certain that I have seen one trying to ambush double-bar finchs and seem to remenber that they had a reputation for being caught in bird cages after being unable to leave the cage ( you can guess why ). The only evidence I have been able to come up with was a reliable friend finding a GTS and a wounded budgie in one of his avaries.
Anyhow it may be worth waving a day old chick in front of the snake or even placing a finch ($3) or quail ($ male king quail $2) in the enclosure. I'm definatly going to have to get some GTS to find out for my self.

VERY GOOD math Fuscus!!!! I agree now that you put it that way.Ever tried buying rats around here,They aren't real cost effective at the moment. I have tried a 3 day old chook,with her showing no interest,will buy a finch on Wednesday to try that.I have thrown the Green Tree Frog idea out the window,but marsh frogs are a different story thanx craig (got any). I was only joking about the money joke,that's why they call it a joke.

yea striped marsh frogs are easy to keep and breed, still you will need a lot of live food to grow up all the frogs

Good news! I got her to stike at a mouse,she didn't eat it but it is a promising sign. I got a pinky,a hopper, and a small mouse, she showed most interest in the small mouse. I left them in there for about 2 hours, watching them regularly. She may not have eaten this time but maybe next time. I didn't even scent them,I will catch a skink to scent with next hot day we have and let you know how I went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back