Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just rang NPWS on another matter and asked them that question : Apparently it's not illegal according to them. However, it MAY be illegal from the viewpoint of the RSPCA. Certainly, some pet stores won't sell live prey if they know it's going to be used as food, and they say it's an RSPCA regulation.
I'll ring back again later today and talk to Jeff Hardy at NPWS - he should know the answers.

... I'll keep you posted.....

I am pritty sure it is illegal in Qld, I will find out, It wouldn't be a NPWS issue but rather something more federal, RSPCA and other animal rights group maybe responsible for the reason...I will see what I can find out up here. I have known this for the last 15 years to be so, but never followed it up maybe its just a well curculated roomer

Yep I also rang and as lutzd said not illegal but RSPCA might not be happy about the whole issue. :)

Still waiting to hear back from NPWS for confirmation, but I also rang the RSPCA. No-one there at the time could answer me, but they said they would get an inspector to ring me back. - again..... will keep you posted when I hear anything. :)

I cannot see the problem.
Does anyone have large fish(oscars,red devils.saratoga's,barra etc) all of these animals you can purchase and feed live prey from a pet shop,so where is the boundry for cruel lying, or is it different because they are fish or something.
If they deem feeding live rats as cruel and stop it from happening will they then stop you from feeding live fish.
They can't have different rules for different animals.
To tell the truth i think a fish being hunted and chased for 20mins would be more stressed than 2 mins of a snake taking it's prey and killing.Plus they don't get bitten in half and sqirm around till they die like fish can do.
Also my spider only ever eats live food.
I have had snakes that will only eat live and will not touch a thawed rat no matter what i have done.
Still think it is safer for snake to feed them thawed though.
But anyway life is life and sh*t happens.

And yer let us know what unfolds in this saga.
Will be interesting.

My stimson will not touch anything if it is dead (thawed, or just killed) but as soon as i put a live weaner/fuzzy rat in with her it is gone in 15mins.

We have found that if you rub the dead mouse on the mid section of the snake between the folds of its body that we have alot of success with reluctant eaters. We have reasonable turn over of wild caught stimsons of various sizes and so far have not had any refuse dead food. It does sometimes take a few weeks and a lot of perserverance. Also not introducing parasites to our animals is important to us.

Looks like the licencing law is different depends on states. I had impression that we are not alowed to feed live in NSW. Looks like I was wrongly influanced.
Keep diging people, that will be interesting to find out. Just to know where we are standing here and what is the right thing. I know my self that sometimes live prey is only option. Thanks GOT my snakes eat only defrosted.

Yes this is why I asked.I have snakes that will not eat dead,freash killed or defrosted.I have also kept Oscars,Siamese Fighting fish.Moray Eels,Epoluete Sharks and agree with Robert.Anyhow The N.P.W.S said that NO it is NOT illegal to feed reptiles live food items as long as they are not wild caught frogs,lizards and so forth.

Yes

womas4me said:
We have found that if you rub the dead mouse on the mid section of the snake between the folds of its body that we have alot of success with reluctant eaters. .

Interesting that you should say that, Womas! I only recently "discovered" this trick with my diamond. She was starting to become a reluctant feeder, and I accidentally discovered that if I push the prey against her body (with tongs) it seemed to encourage her "constriction reflex". Once she had the rat in her coils she would always then eat it.

... and here's me thinking I'd discovered something new...... :oops:

Sweet. Thats great news for us as now we know that it works on other snakes as well. We use a spark plug puller on the mice. It is yet to wirk on bhp's for us yet as tehy tend to just nail the puller and mouse if intimidated. Anyone got any tricks for bhps to eat mice / rats. I have one female who gets very agitated if anything is put into her enclosure and hides in her box.

Robert said:
I cannot see the problem.
Does anyone have large fish(oscars,red devils.saratoga's,barra etc) all of these animals you can purchase and feed live prey from a pet shop,so where is the boundry for cruel lying, or is it different because they are fish or something.

As far as I kow the rules concern mammals.
Insects, fish etc are no problem in regards to laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back