Plastic Tubs as Cages

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

craig23

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Just wanted to know everyones opinions of plastic tubs for keeping snakes, mostly elapids.

Ive been using them for a while, but the biggest problem I find is getting them big enough. They all seem to tapper down to a small floor area, even in the massive ones.
The obvious disadvantage is that they arnt the best for veiwing your snakes, and you more or less have to hook them and get them out to have a look. But I figure if you could find big enough plastic tubs you could still install a perspects or glass window in a side.

I find the benifites are that they are great for space being able to stack them up, easy to clean and are very hygenic, and they look quite neat and tidy I think. As well as being nice and light and easy to manage, and alot cheaper than some big wood and glass contsruction.

Does anyone else use them for adult snakes?
Where do you get them from and what sizes have you found?
Do you heat them individually or heat the whole room?
What do NPWS/EPA think of them for adult elapids during any inspections?

Where I work there are some moulded plastic containers that are 90cm x 90cm floor area... these would be great for so many elapids, and they are square so installing a good size window would be easy, and they look great. Only problem is ive been told these moulded type containers can be well into the hundreds of dollars each. Does anyone know how to get ahold of such sized tubs?

I do realise that for those people that keep a couple of pythons etc, tubs probably arnt of interest as you want to show of your snakes in a nice cage, but im only really talking about keeping a decent breeding collection and mainly elapids.

cant wait to hear some different ideas

craig

I asked this question not so long ago, I thinks it the best but most people dont

we use some plastic tubs also. good for all the reasons mentioned above. But why cant we find big ones at kmart so they dont cost an arm and a leg

If you are referrring to class 2 elapids (NSW) then they do not meet the minumum caging requirements unless they have lockable lids. Then I'd be concerned about the plastic degrading over time. That said, I use them for none venemous regularly.
Peter
ps, I have had an eastern brown get out of a clip lock plastic box once. Bit of a shock to see half of the snake out of the container and about to go under the seat of the car while driving on the M5.(pre locked box requirement and yes it was in a bag but thats another good reason not to use old pillow cases, single stitched)

Craig,
You may well of seen this company and there link before, but I will give it to you anyway.
They are a US company that may export to you the sort of tubs you wish to acquire, some are Huge!
May give you more idea's on how to go!
http://www.freedombreeder.com/

Neil

The lack of locks are the only thing i reckon that there may be a downfall with as peter has already mentioned.
Unless of course you can fit secure locks to them.
If so cannot see a problem at with them all.

In qld you can purchase large tubs from Supercheap Auto,not to badly priced and have also seen them in $2 shops all over the place but don't know if i would trust the quality of them.Have to check them out.

you might be able to silastic locks onto them. Should be plenty strong enough then or drill some small holes and use screws with the threaded part outwards obviously.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Just wanted to mention a few things.
peterescue mentioned a brown snake escaping from a plastic tub. I have had this problem with one brand in particular. There is a gap under the lid which is hard to see. I overcome this problem by using a strip of adhesive foam around the top of the sides so when you put the lid on it fits more securerly.
Ive never had a problem since.

Making the lids lockable is easy also, I just use steel rings on one side of the lid to fix it permanently to the tub and so it hinges on. The I drill a hole on the other side of the lid and tub so a normal pad lock can be fitted. Also the tubs dont have to be lockable if the room the snakes are in is lockable. And as far as plastic is concerned.... it isnt mentioned in the code of practice, however I know of people that have passed inspections using tubs.

Please keep the posts coming, Ill have a look at that link NCHERPS, thanks alot.

craig

plastic tubs

just wandering if anyone knows of a company that makes those plastic tub trolleys in australia??

cheers rick

In Qld you dont have to lock your cages if you room that your herp is in, can be locked.

Craig, I doubt plastic would be an issue as they have those moulded enclosures for sale everywhere.
I like the idea of being able to use a shelving system with heat film, easy cleaning and access. That has to be a plus with venemous.
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back