Looking for info....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking for information on reptiles of the Torres Strait islands, partically Rennel Is or Maura Is, York Is.

no body? okay thanks anyway....lol

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... dont they get emerald tree monitors there and slate brown snakes?

I dont know I have some friends moving there at the end of the month studing reef fish, I will be joining them next summer....to study the reptiles but i cant find any data on the place, I have met the guy who owns the Islands and he has told me about large goannas, python and geckos.....cant wait to get up there

bigguy havent you been into PNG, do you know if the islands south hold the same species, scubbies, waters, PNG tiapans, GTP's, would you know what the large monitor would be my guess is panoptes

Sorry, havent got a clue as to what you are going to find there. Please let us all know after your visit.

Why not give John weigel at the ARP a ring. I know he has been to a few islands looking for Papuan Blacks. If anyone would know, it would be John.

Bob

I will publish what I will find, thanks Bob I will give John a call

white lipped pythons are found on the northern islands of the strait. The following reptiles are found in both oz and NG so might see them on the islands.
Water pythons
Carpet pythons
scrub pythons
little file snake (Hunts mudskippers look at tidal mud flats)
BTS
GTS
GTP (look in Bamboo stands)
Keelbacks
Bockadam
Mangrove Monitor (wow)
Water monitor
Emerald Monitor (wow wow)
and many more

thank fuscus, It is an old Island which was part of PNG nad Australai millions of years ago, and I am hoping that some of the species you have mentioned I hope will be there

Fuscy please don't talk about White Lips, you will send me into deep depression as I can't keep them :( I yearn for white lips :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back