Very big meal...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sxereturn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just threw my female adult Brown Tree Snake a 230 gram rat. She's trying her best to get it down, she's being going for 20 minutes now and is about an inch over the shoulders.

Dont ya think it a bit to big for her?

just make sure that the snake temps are fine in the cage, so that it can properly digest

maybe change the hide so that she can be covered to minimize stress, I would be cranky with that kind of feed...lol

Oh **** yeah this isn't a regular meal, just a one off to stretch her jaws. She got it down in about 50 minutes from first strike to curl up and sleep. She's in an air conditioned room set at 28 with a basking spot of 34.

She is an adult snake though, 5 foot long.

I rekon because BTS prey largely on birds in the wild, that they would be able to consume prey even bigger then the ones shown below, has anyone seen BTS eat larger, I saw an Olive python that had eaten a large wallaby which was about 20 times larger then its head at least, crazy stuff

i thought the rule was to not feed them anything thicker than their stomach girth (about 1/3 way down the body). so its OK on occasion to do this?

she must be feeling content and full.

Mudmum

Must be one big olive if it is eating a pony.

Sxereturn could you tell if the venom affected the rat at all?.
Interested to know if the vemon was strong enough to have an affect on a rat that size.

Robert - It was a thawed rat. I have seen adult BTS fed live, and from when they first bite to the last kicks of the dying mouse is about 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back