Breeding age??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glacey

Reaction score
Hi

I was just wondering what ages anybody has started breeding Carpet Pythons at? I've got a 3+ year old male and a 2+ year old female - both about 1200 in length.

Is this year too early to try? Can breeding too early be harmful?

Thanks in advance

I'm pretty sure breeding's finished for this season, you've left it a tad too late I'm afraid. :?
Sexual maturity doesn't really go with age, but with the size/length of the animal. If your carpets are that size now, you should be pretty sweet to breed them at the end of this year.
But I'm not a breeder, so comments anyone?

Thanks vat69, I definetly knew I was too late this season and was hoping to make an attempt at the end of year if they are mature enough. When do other breeders start 'cooling' their carpets down for breeding?

Actually the female shed today and the skin was 1500mm - so I guess thats getting towards a breeding size.

sheds stretch so it not an accurate measuremaent!

hehe I only found out about that 30% rule after I measured my little girls shed...When I measured it to be 2 feet long I was quite shocked considering she doesn't seem anywhere near that :)

Vat69 said:
I'm pretty sure breeding's finished for this season, you've left it a tad too late I'm afraid. :?
Sexual maturity doesn't really go with age, but with the size/length of the animal. If your carpets are that size now, you should be pretty sweet to breed them at the end of this year.
But I'm not a breeder, so comments anyone?

This season hasn't even started yet. I have found that with a fair few of my macs/olives it is more a case of age rather than size, they might breed but you have more chance of viable eggs if you wait a few more years. Am starting to cool at the end of this month/april.
cheers

Oh, I was under the impression that the "season" spanned over the end of one year and into the beginning of the next. That's not so? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back