Giant Crickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rodentrancher

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My man Dave is looking for a certain Cricket for breeding. Not the usual ones that you breed for Beardies etc. He has seen em here in SA. He reckons they are called Field Crickets?? They are really big tho? From what I've seen on the web, Field Crickets aren't much bigger than the ones(adults) we are using for breeding, but the field crickets are blackish in colour? Dave reckons the body size would be about 4-5cm in size. bloody big hey? Any thoughts from SA people greatly appreciated. Cheers Cheryl. P"S. Not Mole Crickets.

Black crickets they are...very nice looking cricket...the only problem is that brown crickets invade the black ones. The black ones require a bit more specific husbandry skills. They are not that big maybe a little bigger than the brown ones...

the Northern territory wildlife park breeds these black crickets... i always wanted to try them but they do seem harder husbandry

abundent in victoria, black with a white line across the beck of the head, if you want a collection of them co to a dry paddock with knee high grass and walk through it dragging a net behind, you will have your breeding stock in no time. they do like colder wether then brown crickets but apart from that there is no real difference in the breeding

Hi Matt, do you have a picture of one of these crix please? Please email one to us if poss. Just trying to see if we are on the right track.??We have 15acres of dry land here to try and find em hey? Cheers Cheryl and Dave

Lots of people here see em during the warmer months. They are definitely not a mole cricket. Look more like a grasshopper, but a beige? colour? Send a link thru here if you can. That would be good. Thanks Cheryl and Dave

I have bred these before and a much, much larger species, they arent't much harder at all to breed or keep, I just kept them like normal crikets. My breeders were originally wildcaught, around certain times of the year they seem abundent on people lighted patio's up here. took about a month to get my first babies, but fed all my crikets out coz my goannas like woodies better
Cheers

Hi Baritji, Do you breed Woodies please? Can u please give us some ideas on how to separate the little Woodies from the Big Ones Please? Just getting into it at the moment. need some help . Thanks in advance. Cheers Cheryl

HI,
Sorry I havent really figured out a way to seperate them, however i stick the cardboard center of a paper towel roll at one end of the enclosure, and shake the egg cartons around and a lot of the larger woodies hide in the roll, then i just pour the woodies from the roll into a bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back