Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
today i went looking for reptiles at fogg dam and i was impressed because of all the animals we saw.

my dad drove me there and then we went onto the trail. at the end of the first trail we were disappointed because we hadnt seen a thing so we headed back then we nearly stepped on a green tree snake! we were so depressed about walking all the way to the end we didnt bother looking for snakes. this cute little snake was sitting in the middle of the path and sat their for afew seconds before the chase started. i chased it over and under the board-path with my snake hook, but it got into the water and swam away, their fast little buggers!!

then my dad and i walked back to the car and decide to go on another trail which was a road to a look out. we walked halfway there and turned around and on the way back we saw a small snake swimming around in the water(it looked like a water python). we watched it for awhile and decided not to risk going into the water for it because of the crocodiles.

we got back to the car and drove upto the look out. on the way we saw many birds and i finally saw a wild "spoon bill" which looked strange. on the way there and back home we saw 3 sand goannas.

next time i go im bringing a camera

you musnt be looking in the right places

Tommo,

Try Fogg Dam at night with a torch. On a good night there you have trouble not tripping over the Water Pythons as well as the other reptile life. But no too close to the water though. I found a good size Croc sitting on the coarseway one night. Really gets the old heart pumping

i was to afraid to go near the water and i will definatly try get do some night herping.

and i hate to rub this in your southerner faces, but i just chased a big sand goanna out my yard afew minutes ago... 8)

Fogg Dam is on my 'to do' list for herping spots I have heard so much about it from so many different people now it sounds fantastic.

Yeah well i just chased an even big lacy out of my yard, if you could call it a yard

this sand goanna has reputation around my street. it killed someones rabbit while they where on holiday :twisted:

We've got a few frogs around here, just this afternoon the little girl across the street found a stiped rocket frog. She's keeping it for a little while just like all the other herps she finds.

yep i will be heading out to fog damn as soon as i get my licence, and i will be going out their at night with my handy dandy torch.
i don't think u can see the full potential of fogg dams fauna during the day.
will be getting my licence within the month so a herping trip is on the cards.

take me CHarles :D I have been there a few times now, it is best to slowly drive along the road with you spotties on, the amount of reptiles you will see is absolutely astounding, and having it 10-15mins from my house, its pretty awesome!

I was there about a year ago, just for a few hours, but I saw several of the large goannas (one with a short tail and the number '19' freeze-branded onto his side), a turtle, and several dragons in the Paperbarks. Also saw an Agile Wallaby with a joey, but very few birds - mainly egrets, a pair of plovers, a pair of Magpie Geese, and some Bee-eaters. I can't begin to imagine what a sight it must be at the end of the Dry.
Went back that night with some friends after looking for Northern Death Adders on the highway, but only saw a Blind Snake. Mind you, the biggest Blind Snake any of us had every seen - we at first thought it was a Slatey-Grey !

Must go back during the Dry.

Hix

hey morelia man, what are u after down there with that permit?

Good on you Tommo, a local with some common sense & a healthy respect for crocs.

Hi,
I went out to Fogg Dam earlier tonight. We got there around 7. Mum would only drive along the dam road and back 3 times :( which took about 20 mins, because of the 'long' 15 minute drive there :S. Lukily I still found a lot of snakes. I found: 4 adult keelbacks, 1 large slatey grey, 1 sub-adult water and the highlight a 6ft King Brown in the carpark, near where the 'rainforest walking track' starts. Only downside was, I found a couple of dead keelbacks that had been run over by the stupid old lady in front of us, who i saw swerve to hit one :mad:, which was very stupid on such a narrow single lane road.
Cheers

ill go back at night. u only have to go 15min! try around over a pour for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back