BTS breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,
I have a trio of BTS around 4ft long. 1 male and 2 females. I currently have them all together in the one cage, and seperate at feeding times. My Question is, can I leave them all together or at least a pair together year round and expect good breeding results? Or will they like a lot of pythons get too used to eachother to emit any breeding behaviour?
Thanks,
Brodie

not sure, i reckon ya best bet would be to seperate male before winter then re-introduce the him to the females

lmao...by the sounds of things ya wont need to use any of my info.
hey ppl...isnt it ironic how brodie wrote this post less than an hour ago and he just cort his bts in the act.
congratulations and best of luck.

Brodie, I always leave my male and female BTS together all year round. To get them to breed first make sure they(specially the female) are in good condition. Next cool them down to at least 20c for about 3 months. Then simply start bringing the temp back up over a 3 week period in spring. They will do the rest. If you notice the female is gravid, do not forget to add a nesting box to the cage. BTS eggs dry out very fast if laid on the floor of a cage.

u sure they are going to be ready for breeding brodie?? i sold them as i didn't think they would be ready this year... well that was part of the reason

Thanks Bigguy. I was hoping you would answer afte reading your advice on ackies thread. I dont really think they are ready this year, but want to do everything right just in case. The Biggest female is around 4ft and is a great eater.
CHeers

Hmmmm, does anyone have any problems with feeding these fellas rats? Or is that generally only with GTS? Also are there any specific neads they have to keep them happy?
Thanks, Sim

Two of mine haven't eaten since I got them around 2 months ago, tried everything, even live, will be bufffing the temps up to around 30 degrees as soon as I get my parcel from herpshop, and hopelfully that will work. The other one will take live mice, or live pinkie rats. I know of 5 private keepers who's BTS all eat thawed mice and small rats. Give them lots and lots of climbing branches and have their hides high in the enclosure. They are very active snakes, so a large enclosure would be good.

My male will only take one mouse at a time. The female...she would eat until she choked to death on anything.

My male BTS will eat thawed mice no worries, but haven't tried him on rats yet. The female however will not accept anything but live mice, and only small ones. So it seems they can be both fussy eaters and also real hardy eaters, luck of the draw?
I keep them in a 4x2x2 enclosure but will soon move them into a taller enclosure as they love to climb.
By the way, contrary to popular belief I have found them to be extremely placid to hold, neither one has struck at me once yet.
Baritji,I upped the temps from 28deg to 30deg (middle of enclosure) and it worked a treat to get my female feeding. Also used much smaller mice as she shows no interest in anything large,unlike the male who is a monster feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back