Colubrids

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlowey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
l would like people who have colubrids to talk about them or to give advise on them. l have the one pictured and have a second on the way. She eats thawed mice no worries and she handles really well. I would like to talk to someone who has breed gts and to hear from other peoples experiences.

very nice snake there mate. is it a he or a she?

it's a female but need to get it checked just to make sure before buying a mate.

This is the part about being herper that I love !!!!
Reg, you were right for asking the question, I will wait for someone with the apropriate knowledge to answer it for you. Either that or take a wild stab in the dark :)

Colubrids are a very poorly defined branch of snakes, basically best described as not pythons, boas, elapids, blind snakes or vipers.

Actually alot of the colubirds that dont have fangs are still venomous. Dr Bryan Fry recently did a paper on it, he found that Rat Snake are venomous :eek:. www.venomdoc.com and have a look around, it's in there somewhere. Dont think GTS are included in that paper though. So no they arent dangerous reg

Basketcase was more or less right. Colubrids are usually defined as mildly venomous, rear-fanged snakes however there are a few exceptions such as green tree snakes. I'm not actually sure of what the common similarity that all colubrids share is.

They are harmless but notoriously finicky feeders.
I have a female that will only eat goldfish despite all efforts to wean her onto mice/rats.
They are beautiful snakes if you can get a good feeder.
Just don't buy a wild caught one that someone is trying to pass off as captive bred.

slatey grey's are not venomous, pretty sure there a colubrid, they are great snakes and turn blueish when they are coming up for a shed in cinq with there eyes awesome to see.

There is some evidence that they actually are ricko. Really scary hey :S. Check out Bryan Fry's site. Very nice snakes though and I have been bitten a few times and nothing has happend. so IF they are venomous they're venom must be mild or have a poor delivery system. Maybe them being venomous might explain Amanda's local reactions after being bit??

Greebo how long have you tried to wean your snake onto mice/rats and how many goldfish do you feed her each week?

I have been trying for about a year. I know she was not wild caught as I bought her as a hatchling from Bruce Riddell.
I feed her one goldfish a week so it's not really a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back