Chrondos in NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakester

Reaction score
Lately there has been alot of Chrondo talk and I thought I might try and shed a little light on the situation - in terms of numbers.

I am not sure how many of the members on this site are also members of the AHS (Australian Herpetological Society), based in Sydney. Anyway, published in one of the AHS members newsletters last year was the figures from 'NSW reptile keepers in 2002/2003- from annual returns to NPWS.' There was a breakdown for each of the species. Under Chrondopython viridis the figures were; 17 licencees holding this species, bringing forward 64 from last year, 32 were aquired, 60 were bred, 62 were disposed of and 94 were carried forward to the next year. Therefore in one year the number of Chrondos reported and held under licence in NSW alone increased from 64 to 94. It does not specify how many of these were aussie or otherwise.

I hope that was helpful to some people! :)

Thats interesting,
94 / 17 = 5.52
and some people only have 1.

how about the figures on womas?
does it say how many license holders are in nsw?

Ad,
Here's the figures for woma's for the 2002/2003.

46 licences. no. brought forward=143. no. acquired=48. no. bred=37. no. disposed of=59. no. carried forward= 169.

Neil

Sorry Ad, there doesn't appear to be a figure for the total number of license holders in NSW. The document only shows the number of license holders for each reptile species.

thanks snakster and neil.
basketcase, Im just interested in how big the herp scene is, and what percentage of the animals are out there. Ive never seen any figures or stats on the qld herp scene.
i read a post once that there are only 800 keepers in qld. sounds small to me, just interested in nsw stats. If anyone knows any other state how many licensed keepers are there? i also read that there was 70000 keepers in aus. if that was the case qld is real small in relation to the other states.

Ad

I think I read that there are around 14,000 licences on the NSW central coast alone.

G

Jeff Hardy gave a talk at the HHS 2 months ago, NSW licences have gone down in number from 8000 ish to 7000 ish

? i also read that there was 70000 keepers in aus
Some people think there are 70,000 keepers in NSW because of the license numbers (eg. RK71287). The licensing system started at RK50000 (which is Gerry Swan's license). So in reality 20 thousand licenses have been issued but the number of licenses still valid would be a lot less than that.
The number of licenses issued per year has increased significantly in the last few years which shows that the hobby is growing quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back