olive pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkgone

Reaction score
im thinking of getting one of these beauties and i just wanted to know if this python would be a good first snake?Also r they an easy python to look after?And also i live in sydney so would they be ok with the weather?thanks

Never actually owned one but from all reports they are great feeders and genrally have a pretty good temperament. They look great as well.

Regards Ether

i personally think olives are better to get as say maybe a third snake just my opinion as they do get big just depends on what you like colours wise and money wise. i have 2 olives and hopefully in the not too distint future i can buy more as they are a fav of mine.

Olives can be fantastic snakes. Yes they can grow big but that takes a bit of time if you start with a hatchie. Most of them are good feeders when young but a small proportion of them can be difficuilt to start but that's been well documented in past forums. I waited nearly three months before my guys would eat (thanks again to Magpie for getting them going). Now they are growing well and have reached about a metre and a half with good appetites.

They are a dream to handle and alway seem to be very active and inquisitive. They are rarely temperamental and I handle them once or twice a week just to keep them used to the handling. They will become big eaters as they grow and you shouldn't lose site of that.

They are strong snakes with tremendouse jaw strength (ask Bigguy). I guess the main thing to consider is - do you really want a snake that can grow to the size of an adult olive python. It's easy to get caught up in the whole snake business. Make sure that you are getting it for the right reasons - whatever that may mean. Personally I think if you have the space and the funds to feed an Olive and you are confident that this is what you want then I can't see a problem with one as first snake. I'd reccomend that you start off with a hatchie but make sure it's feeding on thawed rodents not finches.

G

Excellent advice there Grahame. You are so right that it is easy to buy and feed a small young snake but the commitment an expense grow at a similar rate to the snake itself :)

Yea Phil

I'm a bit caught up in it all myself. I just love reptiles and most wildlife. I'm still dreaming of building a decent reptile house. I'll get there eventually. I'd also like to spend a bit more time on field trips. The snake rescues this season have been fairly quiet round here.

G

I concur with everything that Graham wrote.
I can also attest to their jaw strength. Never ever handle rats before getting a large snake out of the enclosure.
Peter

r they a hard species to look after?Eg do they need uv light all the time or would an hour in the sun a day be ok?R they more vunerable to disease then other species?Things like that.Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back