Virkon - S

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamh

Reaction score
Don't know how many of you use Virkon - S as your disinfecting agent (I've been using it for a few months now). It's a virus killer. Does anyone know if it's also antibacterial too.

G

I take it yours eventually arrived Craig. It's pretty ecconomical - I only use around half a litre or so per week and at the concetration I'm using that's about 3 grams. So that means the $70 OR $80 for the 1kg pack is pretty cheap cos it should last 7 years at this rate.

Yeah, it got here in the end, not sure if we paid for it yet though :S
I use a bit more than that, but only about 1L per week.

10 bucks a year! WOW thats expensive :) Where does one purchase this product? I take it it is powder form? How long does the solution remain effective once mixed?
Oh dear, so many questions, so little time. :)

Phil

it stays good for around a week - starts off pink and once the colour is gone then you can chuck it. The supplier is in SA Intensive Farming Supplies 08 8349-8077 cost me $81.75 including delivery to Sydney.

Intensive Farming Supplies

Powder form, lasts at least 3 weeks.

Hey Graham,
Reptiles 'r Us at Kempsey stock this stuff too - they are a distributor. You should get in contact 'cause I'd say delivery would be cheaper (of course you might not need to for 7 years though...hehe).

Simon Archibald

I buy Avi-safe from Queensland parrot society meetings. I get one litre of concentrate for $32-00.

At 100:1 this it makes up 100 litres or two hundred spray bottles.

I use it at 50:1.

Easy to mix. Cheap as chips.

Yea so would I,
Does it say it will kill the organisms on contact. If it doesnt I bet when testing they just leave the organisms completely soaked in the stuff and they actually drown. Its what they do for a lot of those reptile cleaning products you buy. Water would do the same job
I use diluted metho 70 percent metho, 30 percent water
works a charm

Yes Metho is what most vets using. Cheap and efective. Only problem is that it dries skin to much. But I am washing my hands in it anyway.
I have methylated spirit in spray bottle and spray all cage after each cleaning with Habitan desinfectant.
Instruments I always clean in metho. Somethimes I am using just pure chlorine/water for enclosures if I am doing yearly cleening of encosures, and do not need to put reptiles straight in same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back