Pet Shop

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Today i went to my local pet shop to but some weaners for my little Bredli. Now i already new that this shop was a little dodgy but when i walked in there was sum guy just walking around with a Juvenile Olive which had just been fed.

When i walked over to the freezer a guy pulled out a dead Olive which he had frozen for some reason and next to the freezer was a small little glass tank with 2 little CCP's. They were both really thin and all that was in tha cage was a water. No hides or anything like that. What does everyone think i should do?
By the way i am in Sydney so it is illegal to sell reptiles. Is it illegal to have them on display even if they are not being sold?

Regards Ether

you need a licence to display @ about $10 000 i have been led to belive as i wanted to display mine behind the counter

and i would do a bit more private investagation befor you give them any unwanted grief then if you are sure of mistreatment/licence breach, notify the corect athorities
just my thoughts but

They are not permitted to even have reptiles on the premises in NSW Pet Shops - do the ba$tard$ in!!!!

Simon Archibald

I agree you should dob them in!!!!
They sound miss treated, malnutrition, negligence and i wouldn't trust them as far as i could throw, kick, punch them. As far as you know they could be wild caught rats/mice and could possibly be contaminated with any kind of pathogens, bacterias, worms even rat poison.
Unless the frozen pythons are being kept for reseach (which i highly doubt) then they would require freezing but either way the pythons (alive and dead) should NOT be in the pet shop.
Report them to NPWS and possibley RSPCA if they have infact neglected the pythons, and advise NPWS that they look maltreted and malnutition then they can get a qualified vet to do a autopsy and see what killed it and why it happened and determine if the owner is resposible.
now i know that with domestic animals this is true but am unsure with reptiles If it IS miss treated, malnutrition, negligence the RSPCA can file a case against the owner of the deceased reptile and see what other animals are in danger and they can charge (possibley even jail term) for their misconduct.

ether -
pm me all the details and i will get the right authorities interested in doing an investigation.
They should be up for a wopping fine for just the the stuff you stated and who knows what else is going on

:D Byrony Ventura- herp detective? :lol:
... "Herp street blues".................".L.A herpLaw"..........."Herp heelers"............."herp collar blue" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh me too Bryony, dont get me wrong, but if you look at the bigger picture, people who do wrong, enivitably "have their day" . Goes around, comes around. they'll get caught.

yeah but in the mean time so many animals get killed in some of the most painful ways and for what? For them to feel superior to a (sometimes) defencles animal
I JUST DON'T STAND FOR IT AT ALL
and anyone who does it with my knowing will get reported and i will go all the way to see that they will get their day

I understand Girl, but also consider how much animals suffer so we can buy eggs, meat, use "safe" cosmetics and treat human illness. Everyday. Its enormous and horrendous.
by comparison ,this bloke and his skinny hatchlings are a spit in the ocean. Thats not to say, always look the other way, But think bigger! :wink:

i only buy make up that is animal tested free (always have)
i buy free range eggs and support yellow beak day
the meat co op where i buy my meat (not only cheap) but looks after their cattle alot better than comercial places
and i have applied for full dutie of care for 'observation' animals (mainly dogs with a minor pro....blem that the syd uni students study then put down unless i step in)
ONLY adopt animals that have no homes (never buy from a breeder)
i really try todomy bit and ihave reported animal cruelty to the RSPCA before with it resulting inthe removal of the animal

oh my gosh i'm so sorry i'm sounding visious
i'm sorry i'm just very passionate about this stuff

....deep breath count 1...2....3....4....5....6....7....8..9...10

ok i'mbetter now soz instar matey

Hey ,that's nice to hear Bryony, Wish there were more people like you, so passionate about those things, unfortunatly lifes mundane everyday concerns, get in the way of the individuals concern for issues, and they go by the wayside, mostly. I do my bit like that aswell, buy only "animal test free" shampoos etc, free range eggs and so on. The sheer enormity of animal suffering has probly put a damper on my passion for smaller concerns. Keep doin your bit, it DOES make a difference. :)

well thats what i think, but people always go for convinience.
I read an artical about these 'new gucci must have shoes' that can't be imported in to australia because they have real snake skin heel!!!!!! Now these shoes are mass produced so how many beautiful pythons got to be this seasons 'must have' shoes

Well i have some people on to it already
we will see whats to make of it all i just need the name and address of the pet shop and the investigation will be on its way

Thanx for all the reply's. It seems that Bryony is on the job and something will be done about it.

What i am wondering about is how they are going to get evidence to charge the owners. There is a large chance that by the time th inspectors come all the reptiles will be gone. Will i have to produce evidence. If possible i would like to let the Parks and Wildlife service people do most of the work, i would like to stay out of it as much as possible.

In saying that i am not going to let them get away with what they have done very easliy. Because they are the closest source of snake food for me. But i wont have to go back there for a while (got a great deal on some weaners). Will they have to know who i am. I am only 15. Will my parents have to be involved.

After consulting a moderator i am not going to disclose the name of the pet shop in a public forum. Has any of the users ever had to deal with something like this before?

Regards Ether

Regards Ether

The matter has been brought to the attention of the Parks and Wildlife Law Enforcement Unit. People who provide information are not expected, though they may volunteer, to participate in prosecution action. The investigating officers will seek to prepare a brief based on the evidence that they can gather from their personal investigations.

Jeff

I can take photo's and video footage if required, im pretty sneaky too. And i dont mind whatsoever if my name is used in the investigation. I with Bryony on this one, i hate mistreatment of animals as much as i do for humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back