Exotic creatures seized in raid

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
here is a link to the article on the Dandenong raid. Also gives a list of what was surrendered in Victoria during the Amnesty.

also note the line

"He said the DSE would be clamping down on wildlife offences. " Hope that includes butchery.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/06/02/1086058916953.html

The link may take you to a soon-to-require-rego page but you can click on

wow at least the article stated that they were in good condition and well looked after
but still illegal

poor reptiles i hope they don't dicide to kill them i hope they give them to people who will care for them and do the right thing

yeah same, but do they take the time to ship exotics, or do they take em the way of old yella?

Unless a major zoo wants them, all the exotics will be destroyed.

Hix

thats why i wouldnt hand mine in (not that i have any !)
people would need some sort of reasurance to get i higher hand in rate i would think?

luke said:
thats why i wouldnt hand mine in (not that i have any !)
people would need some sort of reasurance to get i higher hand in rate i would think?

Well, it's their choice: hand 'em in and have 'em destroyed, or hold on to them, get caught, and face fines of up to $110,000 and/or five years jail.

Hix

point taken but its a shame, spos they shouldnt have imported them in the first place but they new of the risk to them and the animal

Check out the history of many illegal caught and kept reptiles and you will find that these fines do not get applied or only small amounts of it.....in which case the owners pay it with ease because they've earned a lot of money by selling these illegal kept reptiles before they got caught. Then their license gets suspended or they are not allowed to have a license, so they get a license in their partners name...and their back in action............It's very tragic but thats whats happening....

QUOTE:
The exotic reptile amnesty is over, but people wanting to hand in exotic species can do so by arrangement with DSE.
END QUOTE.

Go directly to jail, do not collect $200.00 for passing go :)

insectovor said:
Check out the history of many illegal caught and kept reptiles and you will find that these fines do not get applied or only small amounts of it........

Yup. That's why I said "fines of up to $110,000 ...". That's the maximum payable, but the judge determines the fine. And most apparently don't consider these sorts of crimes to be worthy of the maximum penalty. In fact, some of the fines have been a joke.

However, if you get a judge who is environmentally conscious, you may find yourself in lots of hotwater.

Hix

Well, we're almost a zoo now. How do I get in contact with these suckers??

insectovor said:
you'll be surprised .........

Hmmm.... I asked a NPWS investigator last year pretty much the same question, and he said exactly the same thing - word for word. :shock:

Insectivor - you don't work for the NSW government do you?

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back