Basic Woodwork?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryony

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
just wondering about basic woodwork for building enclosures.
I'm going to be having a bash at making my own from now on and was wondering if anyone has any handy hints or tips to make my life easyer.

I havn't had any real experience with woodwork b4 (besides a mirror frame in high school) so should i invest in a course?
I have heaps of woodworking books at home (dads pretty handy with that sort of stuff) do you think following the book would be enough?

any help would be great
thanx guys in advance ;)

My main advice would be to get some decent tools.
Things like a brad gun, good cordless drill and sharp drills make all the diference.

Magpie said:
My main advice would be to get some decent tools.
Things like a brad gun, good cordless drill and sharp drills make all the diference.

Sounds like the best advice to be given! All the books in the world won't save you from poor workmanship due to inadequate tools! Or should I say Workwomanship! :wink:

Bryony, TAFE and some of the community colleges have woodworking classes. They take you through the basics. A friend of mine is making herself an enclosure at one of these.
The best method is of course to have acces to a fully equiped workshop with every tool you can think of and an uneneding supply of materials. Oh! thats where I work. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well said Craig. Even in my very limited experience with building enclosures, it has usually been the tools that made the difference. I did make one enclosure using cheap tools and the next one I made using borrowed gear from mates who are builders, etc. The difference was unbelieveable and it's so much easier using tools that WORK because you feel more comfortable and confident.

Simon Archibald

Tools make a job easier. The quality of the tools is not an indicator of how well the job will be done. You skill, time and patience are what will influence that.
Having the right tools is far more important than having the best but in saying that dont waste your money on tools that will let you down.
My suggestion would be to get (NB,. my suggestion)
tape measure
metal square
string/chalk line
circular saw
small hand saw
2 cordless drills
set of drill bits
countersink
philips head driver bit
Philips head screw driver
4 corner clamps
Bottle of pva glue
box of 45mm grabber screws.
a pair of horses
(the brad gun is good but expensive)
For a start anyway.
What else?

Hey Bry :) when I moved last year I wanted to make my own snake enclosure so firstly I had to buy most of the tools Peter has mentioned above.
Then (because I was just starting out) bought a cabinet from a cheapie shop for like $25 and just appropriated it into an enclosure which is (I'm told) a helluva lot easier than building one from scratch.
I just changed the cabinet doors for viewing and drilled in all holes for the electrics. Also I attached branches and stuff to make it look good. I even did the electrics myself (however I better not recommend it, safer to get an electrician lol I dont want you electrocuting yourself cos of me!).
Also, whenever I had a question about it I went into repchat and asked Greg or Magpie and they are very helpful and know what theyre talking about :)

And for those of us who aren't too handy with a circular saw i found the laser light ones to be so easy to use and cut in a nice simple straight line....

Cheat. You can buy 4 1200 x 450 x 14 malamite from the Green shed for $12 each (make sure that they are exactly the same length). And there is a thin sheet with a white plastic coating that you can buy for $18 (suitable for 2 enclosures). Get the backing sheet cut to size at the shop. If you live in QLD or any tropics use pegboard instead. Take home.
On a flat smooth surface, glue and screw the malamite together to form a cube. Don't screw to close to the edge (thats an opening for the fishboy). Pay attention to the edges. The malamite has an uncovered edge, this edge should be face up as we want to place the backing on it and you can't move your cube until the backing is attached. Glue and nail the backing onto the cube. Use the backing to ensure that your cube is square and use 15-20 mm Flat head nails.
So far you need a hammer and a cordless screwdriver (hint - If you are into woodwork get two cordless screwdrivers). Use heaps of glue and wipe of any excess with a wet rag.
Now you have a box with an open front end and it has enough structure to be moved. Stand it up or flip it over.
You require a top and bottom brace, recommend you use Tassie Oak (really blue gum). Select straight bits, look along the edge to judge how straight a piece of wood is Cut carefully so that they fit snugly. Stain and seal before attaching to box. On each brace attach your runners for the glass.
Use a hole saw attachment to drill four holes in each side to fit the small circular plastic vent covers which you glue in place. Vents are a week spot so I suggest you put a cover on each side of the hole.
You now have a basic cage which just need the electrics, something to climb on and your new friend (you know, the one with its teeth in your arm). I recommend that you also build a kick board to lift the cage off the ground. This is also a big cage, you could put dividers and make it int two, three or even four cages.

Bryony,

I would seriously enterain Fuscus' advice above,

I suggest one preliminary step.

Buy the tools then make yourself a basic tool box. A square toolbox with or without a hinged lid will allow you to practice all the nailing and drilling etc and you will feel much more confident when it come to the cage.

And remember always measure things twice before you cut them and before glueing and drilling check that the bits fit together as you expect.

On last thing if you go with Fuscus'ssss idea remember that the back piece will need to be 1200x1230.

Good luck

Tools for sure,the good thing now is that alot of power tools are cheap and good quality.
If you have never done it before, start off on something small and easy, a basic square or rectangle shape cage, it will give you a feel for it and some good practice with the tools. It also doesn't as much if you stuff up, you will then know where you went wrong before you tackle something bigger.
If you make somthing big, or bank(multiple cages) double check all your measurements before you cut, well should do that anyway.
I love making cages from stratch it's good fun and gives you something to do when your bored....i've got three sitting in my garage waiting to be finished, but i'm lazy :)
It's not hard once you start.

oh thanx guys!!!! :lol:
thats great advise!
i have every tool under the sun available for me to use and then some!!!!
i'm going to have a bash in the next couple of weekends and i'll let you know how i do.
Oh and i am going to have a bash at makeing simy's fake rocks too!!! Let you know how that goes as well ;)

and thank you very much for all the detail you all put in....makes it alot easier for little newbie workwoman like me ;)

PS if you don't hear about this anymore....its cause i either stuffed it up.....or i gave up ;) kidding! i'm definatly going to have a go....i'll post some more questions as i go along

ok.....hit a little bump on my way to enclosure land...........
i know how to use most of the tools...but...can you fill me in on these?
countersink
Bottle of pva glue (can you use other stuff 2?)
box of 45mm grabber screws. (are these the ones with the serated edge?)
a pair of horses

A countersink is a cone shaped screw head so as to sit flush with the surface when the hole is countersunked .You can buy a special bit or can sharpen a standard drill bit to suit
pva glue is that white wood glue the one you make fake skin with its cheap and cleans up with water so i would just use it
its commonly referred to as wood glue and it dries clear
saw horses are for kepping your material of the floor at a workable level with good access around all sides of your enclosure
Grabber screws ? i have not heard of them before well not by that name anyway

countersink - a drillbit that make a little "cup" in the timber for a srcrewhead to fit in. Makes the screw head flush with the surface of the wood.
PVA glue - woodworking glue, don't botter using anything else
Grabber screws I'm not certain
Horses are tresles to rest your work on. You can get combo horses/clamps from the green shed for $20 at the moment.
I also think that you need clamps (and no, I did not say nipple ) and a straight edge.

Im old so I use the term Grabber. They are the self tapping chipboard screws. Usually anodised a goldy colour with countersink head and philips drive. The best are the zinc coated for treated pine as they dont rust.
Other glues are available but pva is cheap and effective. Usually comes in a handy bottle but can be bought in bulk and put into plastc tom sauce bottles.

cool thanx guys ;)

and one more thing....what is the 'green shed'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back