Scaley Foots (Scaley Feet?)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting some scaley foots, does anyone here keep them, and if so, could you briefly outline the way you keep them? Eg type and size of enclosure, feed items, anything that you think is noteworthy or important. If anyone knows someone who is like to breed them this season, let me know as I'll likely have trouble tracking some down. I've never kept legless lizards and only know one person who has scaleys.

Friend has one that I was interested in. Dont know if he will sell it to me. I did lose his olive after all.

i only know of 1 person with 2 pair.He's had them for years and still hasn't had any success in breeding them.

Seems fairly straight forward to keep,very similar to keeping pythons heat,humidity,substrate etc.They shed in 1 peice,
eating on pinkies,but something maybe not be right as they are not breeding, either that or they don't reach sexual maturity till a late age.
Anyone with better info than this i would also like to know aswell.
I'm Fasinated by them aswell.
Would love to add them to the collection.And i don't think he will ever sell them.

To get them into breeding you may have to feed them geckos as they are a majour prey item for many scaley foots.

Can someone post a pic or link please, dont think ive ever seen one. :? what is their scientific name?

common scaly foot is pygopus lepidopodus, I can't remember any other species names but they're all under the pygopus genus.

i would love to get my hands on a pair of legless lizards, particularly delma tincta and pygopus nigriceps. I hav heard that they r pretty basic to keep.

To get them into breeding you may have to feed them geckos as they are a majour prey item for many scaley foots.
Really? I hadn't heard this. My friend feeds his cockroaches, or mainly so anyway. I was under the impression that they were mostly insectivores. I would have thought that mice would have been sufficient to induce breeding if geckoes were a big part of the natural diet.

Has anyone ever heard of them being bred in captivity?

Instar: There are two species, Pygopus lepidopodus (common scaley food) and P. nigriceps (hooded scaley foot).

Patchel and Shine did a diet analysis which showed that commons mainly ate spiders, with some insects which nigriceps ate mainly insects. I can't recall hearing previously about them eating vertebrates. I'd be interested to hear more.

west: wow! It's really awesome you were able to get close enough to see that without scaring them! What time of day was it and how did they catch their food? I haven't seen too many wild reptiles feed, I'd feel really privelaged to see that!

Nice looking lizard, thanks guys. Much more rounded head than the "Burtons" though i like their look better. :wink:

I'd love burton's but I'm not willing to screw around catching skinks for them!

Gday, I caught an adult pygopus lepidopodus today. They're really quite interesting animals. I was just wondering if they have a jacobson organ? I noticed the one I caught today had a fleshy tongue but used it similiar to a snake. Any way here is some pics.

and more... including pics of vestigiel limbs. p.s. sorry about the fingernails!

Just in a spot near my house (Blue Mountains), its the second I've found in a month..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back