sheding problem...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

craig.a.c

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
My stimmie has only shed a skin in 1 piece once. Every other time it comes off in pieces. Humidity is at 60%, temp. 28.C. She has a bowl that she can submerge in but doesn't.

She shed a few days ago but still has a bit of old skin under her chin, it does not wrap around her. She doesn't seem to worry about it, no more rubbing on rocks. It has got me a little worried though. I can't get to it to try and rub it off.

Will it cause problems if it stays there????? I looked over her and that is the only bit of old skin I can see.

Thanks in advance.

wont hurt on her chin, should come off next shed. next time she goes blue eye, try misting the cage a bit once or twice a day. soaking can help, as can placing it in a damp bag or pillow case . make sure the eyecaps and tail tip bits come off ok, but dont try removing eyecaps yourself. :wink:

hi craig, try soaking, not just now to get the skin off but before she sheds. And also try to bring up the humidity should help.

Craig, it just means your snake was a little to dry, and its shedding oils it released dried before doing their job. Next shed either add a larger water bowl under the heat to increase humidity in the cage, or try spraying a few times a day with water. Increasing the temp would only worsen the problem, drying the snake out even more. Just work on the humidity.

You need to give it a spray with a water bottle once a day, when it goes opaque. They're not very smart...they won't soak by themselves most of the time.

I'd also get a wet rag and gently wipe away the skin under her chin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back