Cranky Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shacks

Not so new Member
Reaction score
On Friday we fed our 6 mth old QLD Carpet Python. We left him alone on Friday. We were out all day Saturday. Last night we went to get him out and he was very aggressive and was striking at anything that went near him. I have tried to handle him this morning and he is still the same.
Any tips or advice is welcom.

Thanks.
Glen.

we have had him for a week and a half. In that time he handled very well. His eyes are nice and clear. I have noticed that he just wants to be in his hide aswell.

Maybe just needs to have a pooh . mine sometimes get a bit cranky when they are about to go !

I got him to settle and let him run over my hand in his cage for about 10 minutes. I went to pick him up and he had a go at me so I will let him have a rest and I will try again in an hour or so. I think he may have spotted the cat aswell.

shacks my spotted is very friendly but if i feed her then try and pick her up in the next few days and she strikes at me and her cage she normally does that when shes hungry. it could be possible your carpet could still be hungry try another rat or mouse and see how he/she goes. my spotted will have 2 mice a week if i allowd her too.

Shacks, i think its just a case of "my home, get out" syndrome. Is he strikey once he is out of the cage? or just while he is in there? My little male carpet is really head strong while he is in the cage but once he is out, he's sweet as pie.

If you've only had him for a week and a half he is probably still settling in. I'd give him a couple of weeks without handling to allow him to become happy in his new home and it will also allow him to settle in a lot faster.

Just leave him alone for a while. when i first got my coastal it was hiding for about a fortnight then it came out - then it bit me, the little s**t.

A handy hint for you. I feed mine out of the cage just simply because I find they get used to not feeding in there cage and so learnd that you are not part of the food chain. The change in mine as soon as I put them in their feed enclosure is incredible. They know as soon as they go in there it's feed time and they become instantly hyped up and snappy.

I donned a leather glove and he was happy to run over the glove, untill it touched his side, then he was at it again. We offered him another mouse but he was not interested. I think we will let him have a while to himself and see how we go from there.

I do the same as cwarren.
Let him settle in for a bit, give him plenty of time to digest after a feed before you handle him, and try feeding outside the enclosure. A combo of some or all of these three may help.

We got the little fella out today after leaving him alone for 3 or 4 days. At first he was not happy to be handled but after a few minutes of hadeling him with the leather gloves on he was fine. He is now happy as can be in my wife's hair.
Thanks for the help and tips we have taken notice of what we have been told. When I get some time I will take some pictures of him and his enclosure and post them for all to enjoy.

Shacks said:
I donned a leather glove and he was happy to run over the glove, untill it touched his side, then he was at it again. We offered him another mouse but he was not interested. I think we will let him have a while to himself and see how we go from there.

Leather gloves are not good for a number of reasons. They are normally pretty tough - a lot tougher than human skin, and can break young snakes teeth a lot easier. Also, you can't tell how strong your grip is on a small snake...

Sure, getting bitten isn't fun, but it doesn't exactly hurt either...they hardly draw blood at that size.

If you are REALLY paranoid about getting bitten, there a snakebite-proof gloves available at www.tongs.com but it will cost you a lot of money, and they are really designed for snake milkers and the likes. My advice is: Just get over it, it doesnt hurt and after a while the bite wont even shock you anymore! It shouldnt take to long for your snake to calm down either.

BTW I am in Darwin too, good to see another Territorian here ;)

Brodie

not to worry

When we first got our 8 month old he was worse!!!Snapped at anything that moved(And often hit).After getting bitten a few times and not being scared or bothered he soon settled down and became a big pussycat but beware pythons have bad scale days just like we have bad hair days!
We also wash our hands with the same antibacterial wash before we handle him(maybe he learnt to tell the difference between handle/feed through the different smells?).I can't remember the last time anyone got bitten by our fella and i thought when we were at your stage that it would never improve.So good luck and hang in there.......

Pythons Rule!!!!!

I'm yet to see Nicole in all her glory but I've been told to bring sunglasses for the stunning beauty and shininess. n/j.

Yes. I'm with the 'Leave it alone Brigade'
Leaving them alone after relocating is essential. one or 2 weeks. It works wonders.

If you change the waterbowl, leave him alone, lost his stick? (because a kookaburra took it after you'd rinsed it and put it out to dry) replace stick and leave him alone ---- New hide box and he is hiding from it ? - leave him alone.
They adjust.
I changed my small "Darwin" to a larger tank, and I placed the "furniture" exactly as it was in the smaller 1. She did a few laps and , found her bearings (go to water bowl, over stick to red glass block turn left and go one slither and there's the precious hide box). She must've thought she'd shrunk. lol

I also never handle them after they've been fed for a few days.

On the other hand (* holds up hand* I also have fingers and a thumb) - If they bite while being handled - I don't put them back in their tank. I hold them for about 5 more minutes, so they know I'm not putting them down because they bit me. Do you think that works?

Em :)

any little upset can make them insecure (? Is that the right word?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back