What sort of Frog is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hugsta

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I'm not very knowledgable on frogs and a mate sent me this piccie of two frogs. I have no reference books on froggies so I can't cross reference anything.
They are both the same species but one is considerably lighter in colour. Male and female perhaps?????

The photo was taken in the Eastwood area in Sydney.

If someone could help us out with their identification it would be appreciated.

Daz :lol:

So these guys are common to the Sydney area then.

Either litoria peronii or litoria latopalmata both come within the range i think, descriptions of color and markings on back of thighs very similar. refrenced from "A feild guide to frogs of australia ~ Martyn Robinson :)

seems to be missing the lateral stripe mentioned in latopalmata though. can be damn hard to id a frog from a pic. shots from all angles would help heaps, that way you can reconcile various markings, webbing on toes etc. good idea with thelegspread shot.

Yeah it is definatly a peronii......the bright legs are very typical of peronii.

There common name is Perons tree frog is it??

Does anyone know why the difference in colours?? M and F perhaps!!!

Color can vary for many reasons, temp, humidity, mood, general health, camoflage too. My female cearula is usually a bit darker than the male tho.

Cool, he found them in his backyard and is trying to set up an outdoor enclosure for some local herps and wants to get the frogs to stay and breed naturally in his back yard. Wants to keep it as natural as possible for the little guys.

sounds good huggy, not enuff of that imo, too much concrete, paving and bareshorn lawn, and not native plants used in our yards imo.

Does anyone know if results from the "wild watch " project have been published??

I totally agre Inny, I plan to make my outdoor enclosure as natural as possible as well. Unfortunately I can't have plants that attract bees as I am allergic. But none the less I want it to resemble the herps habitats that will be in the enclosures.

You're allergic to bees? You should have checked out the Native Bee stand at the Expo.

:p
Hix

Yeh I had a look at that and signed the partition right under your name right after you........LOL :wink: :D

Fuscus said:
Why did you write on the wall?

I Think you mean petition :D

"For a good time call Hugsta bear, all sorts, anyway, anytime... 1800 BARELOVE"

LMFAO Shermy. You should have seen what Hix wrote. LOL

hugsta said:
Unfortunately I can't have plants that attract bees as I am allergic. But none the less I want it to resemble the herps habitats that will be in the enclosures.

Sounds like you need plants to attract bee eaters ;-)

Native Bees do not tend to sting.

Trader and I have now almost completely removed the exotic plants from our garden. We aim for native plants with small flowers which, in theory at least, attract the small native birds.

This is my century post :)

I might start a thread on attracting herps to one's garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back