Oz bright uva/uvb 100watt spots (pics added to help)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all,
Just recieved these lights today, i have had both, yes, both (equalling 200watts) running for over an hour and a half and the basking spot underneath them (no more than 25cm away) is only 33.6C.

Whats the go? should it be that low? i was expecting atleast mid 40's.

If need be, i can post some pics to show the setup, just ask and i will.

Anyone use that uses them i would love to hear some comments.

Cheers, Alan.

Is that over the open tank/aquarium setup Al? heat rises, majority is lost! Cooler the ambient air temp the more heat will dissapate. 33c sounds not too low, wouldnt they just spend longer warming up???

Here is the top where the lights are
DSC00083.jpg

here it is from the side
DSC00084.jpg

And the whole setup
DSC00085.jpg

Let me know what you think i should do, or if i should just leave it and stop stressing. But i really really really need a 4x2x2 so if you want to hook me up with one, let me know.

Cheers, Alan.

Those bulbs are huge...you would think that they would get pretty hot! Maybe wait another while. It does look like they are a bit cramped, sorry i cant help you with an enclosure.

Regards Alex

Wow! I'd also have thought 200 watts with that design would do more! I use 60watt spotlights with my gillens monitors, the hot spot gets over 80 degrees sometimes. The rocks are obviously closer to the globe, but your results are suprising.
For my 10c worth, stick a flat rock up higher, closer to the globes.

do u need both sides of the tank open at the top like that? That is where your heat'd be lost straight out the top.

Parko, i leave the cool end open so as to actually have a cool end, i think if i had lids on then the whole tank would become an oven so to speak.

So if i make a wooden ramp up to a basking ledge, would that work guys? but then im thinking that they wont be able to get a gradient directly near the light, they would have to go from ledge to cool end to ledge to cool end and so on.

Any more for any more???

shyte, i would think that 2 bulbs that size would be to hot. The bulb for my ackie is just a 60 watt downglobe and that reaches mid 50s in winter.

Do you know something i dont know brodes??

Do these type of bulbs take a few hours/days to get to their full potential or something?

Spill the beans brodes!!!

According to Greg Fyfe, his research found that the mercury vapour type lamps produce great levels of UVA/B but generate fairly minimal heat.

Someone has informed me that the bulbs can take up to 10 hours the first time they are used to be "run in". I think i will disconnect one tonight so when i am at work they dont fry my lizards if this is the case. And when i get home, i will check the temps to see if anything has changed. If not, i am thinking of using only the one for the uva/uvb output and possibly another basking heat only spot lamp for the heat.

What do you guys think of that idea?

Im up for suggestions, and this little duck will listen to them.

Cheers, Alan.

Sherm, as parko stated you are losing all your heat straight out the top. At least try and enclose the end with the bulbs, and maybe, half close the other end. That should help.

Also , as Baritji keeps stating, it will get a lot hotter. Wait till the days start warming up. Your tank will get pretty hot then.

Al...cover the hot end and lose one globe. You will fry the lizards guaranteed once the weather warms up. If you enclose the hot end and leave the cool end opened (as in the pics I showed you) it will work well.

Simon Archibald

those are the lights they use for the baby gators at the reptile park. Those things get bloody hot

Sherm
I switched over to the MVB lights at the start of the year. The guy I bought them off warned me that they get extremely hot so I got the 100W globe.
I have a 4x2x2 horizon polypropelene? enclosure for my beardies and it didnt reach the temperature of the normal spotlight i was using. I now use the 160W model but its still doesnt get as hot as a good 100w Spotlight. I also use a 100w ceramic to get the temp up.
Id recommend ditching one of your globes, upgrade to a 160W, a more heat efficient enclosure would help u too :)

Thanks all, but i am now on my way to pick up a new enclosure with my last pennies, so the beardies should be happy in their new home. Will put pics up later on when i have it up and running and im sure this one will keep the heat up..

Cheers, Alan.

i dont know alot but here is my 5c worth. they are bright lights (more for UV than a a heat lamp. its in a glass tank, no major lid on it and its easyer for heat 2 escape. i personly get rid of one bulb and put a a infra red heat lamp in. but thats me im only farly new and i dont own lizards. i just manly do trial and era at my house. if anyone thinks my ideas are stupid just tell me so, i dont mind, i learn from it.

Thanks
ashley

"Ashley ur ideas are stupid!!!!!"
p.s. actually i wouldn't know either. i'm fairly new to the idea of anyother bulbs apart from infra red ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back