Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ackie

Reaction score
hey ppl, i have heard so many times now that u shouldnt handle snakes within a couple of days after feeding because of regurgitation. I have never had this happen and can hold my snakes while they feed without them even focusing on me. Even my whipsnake and brown tree snake dont really care. I was just wondering who here actually has to try and take precautions incase their snake bites them or regurgitates.

I always excercise care against bites when feeding but as for handling I don't make allowances for the snake having been recently fed. That said, I only handle when it's necessary to avoid upsetting the snake more than necessary. That is unless I want to handle them, then I do :)

Snakes can almost always be gently handled immediately after feeding without any huge problems. That being said, snakes eat a weeks worth of food at once and I know that after doing that all I'd want to do would be lay down and sleep for a while without being disturbed, so it's best to leave them alone.

yeh, im not asking wat i should do i was just wondering wat others hav experienced.

My BHP is a narky little so-and-so. I generally will not pick him up for at least a day after feeding. He is rather snappy after a feed and will attack literally anything within his reach. Any other time he is quite happy to be handled. My stimsons on the other hand can be handled straight after feeding with no problems.

i have to handle straight after to put them back in the enclosure as they need to be separated when feeding.

Liberated, I have the same deal with my stimsons

My snakes get excited as soon as i put the key in the lock to their cage. If they know theyre getting fed i will definately cop a bite. Once they have fed i have to handle them with a snake hook to put them back in their cage. At this time they are still excited and will bite. I have never had a snake regurgitate from handling after feeding, but then i never make a habit of holding them when theyve got a meal inside them anyway.

I have heard that it is only bad after a very large meal.

I've read that snakes in the wild that have been caught will instinctively regurgitate in a bid to escape quicker as a large meal inside them will slow them down. I guess captive snakes that are used to human contact and handling would be more reluctant to give up their prized meal.

Wild caught snakes will often throw up their last meal. This is a natural defensive reaction.

I tend to give the brownsnakes a bit of space at feeding, and try not to handle the adders at dinner time.

HEY i got tagged last night for the first time, my female mac ate my finger :p , it was during feeding time and she got excited and got my finger instead of the mouse. very cool to watch, didn't hurt either which i was surprised at. wish i had my cam there but i didn't want to move incase i hurt her. she gave up eaing me once she realised sh couldn't get passed the poing where the finger joins the hand. :) , i hope it happens again. get a pic next time.
cheers
pete
p.s. this has no relation to handling adders at dinner time. :D

I dont handle mine for about 2 days after feeding .
No expierience before then as i have had no need for handling earlier then the 2 days .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back