Bredli eats Mouse!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

therat

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I saw on pailsforscales.com that there's a new video of a Bredli eating a mouse.. pretty cool...I'm pretty new in reptile world, got myself a Bredli about a month ago. All I hear is rats and mice being fed to snakes.. is there any other food source to try to mix it up a bit? Do they need a more balanced diet? Frogs...?? Comments appreciated

Rats and mice have got all the vitamins and minerals that snakes need. Now and then you could give them young chickens just for something different. I would steer clear of frogs. Firstly because they may give the snakes internal parasites, and secondly because it would be illegal to take wild frogs for feeding and i doubt its legal to breed frogs for snake food either. Why bother when theres rats and mice ?

Mice and rats are used because they are cheap, common, breed readily and fulfill the reptiles needs. Some people like to mix it up with different bird species, and rabbits for the larger snakes.

Frogs, lizards etc usually carry parasites. If you ever see a wild Green Tree Snake, chances are it will have a few lumps on its body - these are skin worms, that come from frogs that it preys upon.

Yeah.. pretty impressive!! Thanks for that... with small birds... I guess we could freeze birds that the cat brings in for 6 weeks, then try feeding to the snake? I totally understand that mice and rats are nutritional... just wanted to vary the diet.. I do with my other lizards etc

Considering its only ever caught a black bird... which is far from native... you should take that back mate!

How convenient that your story changes when you see we don't like cats.

Here's an idea...be a responsible cat owner and keep the feral inside.

Oh my god... I didnt realise it was illegal to let a cat out during the day. [Edited by Afro, NO personal attacks]
I am a responsible feline owner and take great care to try and avoid any kill by my animal. After all, you and I would probably see more dead mice than my cat does when we feed our reptiles. I totally and utterly REFUSE to adhere to this unspoken rule that you should hate cats if you care for reptiles. Sorry mate..

My comment was actually meant as part joke, but I also wanted to express that cats shouldn't be allowed to kill native animals (may not have yet, but if kills any birds it will soon enough), if a cat isn't known to attack other animals then let it outside, but YOU KNOW that it has the potential to do it, so it is your responsibility.

Rat - I don't hate cats. I hate irresponsible owners. I own a cat myself. Does he ever go outside? Yes. When I am watching him.

Hi Therat

I have been told that you can feed all domesticated animals to your snakes as long as they are Humainly killed
Including :
Cats , Dogs , Rabbits , Guinea pigs and Chickens If theres more then someone may like to add them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back