A Few Herp Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhanson

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I know most of the pro's and con's of each of the following questions. I know everybody has their own opinion and preferences, but I am interested in knowing what everybody actually does in each situation. Just curious.

1) Do you feed your snakes live prey or thawed?
2) Do you use a feeding box or do you feed your animals in their enclosure?
3) Do you "offer" your snakes food when they are about to shed?
4) How long after you bring an animal home and let them get adjusted to their new enclosure do you start to handle them?
5) How long do you wait to handle your snake after you feed them?
6) Would you buy a reptile from a pet store?

Thanks
Derek

Don't by from pet stores, they're a lot more expensive and usually haven't got the experience, knowlage or apropriate care for their reptiles.

4) How long after you bring an animal home and let them get adjusted to their new enclosure do you start to handle them?

1) I feed mine thawed, would only use live as the VERY last resort
2) I use a seperate enclosure when feeding as to seperate them from each other.
3) have before but wasn't interested,
4) Depends on how stressed it is. sometimes i'll handle without even taking it to its new enclosure, other times i'll put them in and wait about 2 days.
5) 2 or 3 days
6) never, expensive and the petshop pplz always seem stupid

1) If my snake takes dead (freshkill or thawed) I will feed that, but I have one snake who only takes live at the moment.
2) While they are small I will feed in their enclosure, once they are bigger I will feed in a seperate box.
3) I offer food on a regular basis even if about to shed, if they want it they will take it. :)
4) Usually cant wait longer than a day or two, but I try to wait at least a week. :)
5) I usually wait about 24 hrs from feeding.
6) If it were legal in my state and the pet shop was actually a "reptile only" shop with experienced herpers running it, then I probably would depending on prices, but never from a common pet shop unless they had an experienced herper dedicated to managing the reptiles and the prices were not through the roof.

Cheers.

2) Do you use a feeding box or do you feed your animals in their enclosure? i feed in enclosure
3) Do you "offer" your snakes food when they are about to shed? no
4) How long after you bring an animal home and let them get adjusted to their new enclosure do you start to handle them?1 week 4 days
5) How long do you wait to handle your snake after you feed them? 3 days
6) Would you buy a reptile from a pet store? no

1. thawed never live
2. enclosure unless I have more than two snakes in it, bit of a handful when one eats quicker than the others
3. no, never can cause problems with shedding.
4. 0ne to two depends on the snake attitude and if it needs cleaning
5.very rarely handle my animals unless I am cleaning them, but if i was to probably when I see no lumps of food in the belly.
6. depends on who runs the store and the health of the animal.

1. Dead, f/t or f/k. Either or.

2. I feed my snakes in their enclosure. The last thing I need is my Retics thinking it's feeding time every time I handle them.

3. Sometimes

4. I wait until they've taken atleast one meal.

5. Atleast 24hrs. to move them to clean the enclosure. To handle them I wait till the lump is gone.

6. NO!

1) Do you feed your snakes live prey or thawed? ONLY THAWED
2) Do you use a feeding box or do you feed your animals in their enclosure? IN ENCLOSURES.
3) Do you "offer" your snakes food when they are about to shed? IMHO A WASTE OF TIME AND FOOD, THE OFFER HAS NEVER BEEN EXCEPTED. BUT STRAIGHT AFTER SHEDDING MY SNAKES NORMALLY ACCEPT FOOD WITH GUSTO!
4) How long after you bring an animal home and let them get adjusted to their new enclosure do you start to handle them? WEEK TO TWO WEEKS. BUT HAVE OBTAINED ANIMALS IN JUNE AND COOLED THEM AND ARE ONLY JUST STARTING TO HANDLE THE ANIMALS
5) How long do you wait to handle your snake after you feed them? TWO TO THREE DAYS
6) Would you buy a reptile from a pet store? DEPENDS ON STORE. HAVE DONE SO FROM http://www.reptilecenta.com.au/ GOOD PRICE AND I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE ANIMALS

1/ Thawed.
2/ In enclosures.
3/ Yes.
4/ A few days.
5/ At least 24 hrs.
6/ Only if I knew the store and how they kept them.

1/. Thawed
2/. In enclosure
3/. Yes
4/. No delay
5/. I don't wait
6/. Yes.

1) Thawed, very rarely freshly killed
2) In the enclosure, occasionally out in the yard.
3) No.
4) 1 week.
5) Once the bulge has gone.
6) Only a pet shop with a good reputation.

dhanson said:

Thawed by preference but I have a couple that will only take fresh killed or live.

dhanson said:

Feeding box - I clean it about once per year.

dhanson said:

Rarely. If they act hungry then I do.

dhanson said:

As soon as they are feeding.

dhanson said:

2 days.

dhanson said:

I bought turtles from a reptile store once but 99% of the time it is through the Herp Trader :wink: or by word of mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back