question on the boomslang

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_morris22

Reaction score
hi all,
i was just wondering i have heard this snaks name com up 3 times in a week and they all said that drop for drop its the most vemomius snake
i didnt think so but is it? http://www.stock-photography.co.za/stock-photography-boomslang.htm here is a pic

one of the show was 7 deadly strikes(on fox)

its only for my own presonal interest

Thanks heaps
ashley

G'day Ashleigh.I had no idea but just did a search on ggogle and found out a little such as..........Boomslang (Dispholidus typus ), Africa. The Boomslang is the most seriously venomous rear-fanged snake in the world. ect, etc, and soforth. Number 9 on the all time venomous.

Easily the most potent rear fanged snake. But of course, it's not all that easy to get envenomated by one. It certainly isn't the most venomous according to the LD50 chart, which is misleading anyway.

i saw that show 7 deadly strikes and austin stevens the host said that it was the worlds most venomous. after that i realised he was just a try hard who doesnt do his research

The Boomslang would easily be the most toxic rear fanged snake in the world, but only scores in the top 20 on one of the 4 renowned LD50 tests.

For years this snake was considered harmless till a leading herper was killed by one. Turns out if you are bitten they have one of the strongest anti- coagulants known. You will bleed from every opening on your body. This was a problem in developing antivenom. Most animals injected just bled to death. I believe they have now developed one for this very dangerous African snake

Certainly the boomslang is the most venomous colubrid, and drop for drop it has a very potent venom.

For basic biology have a look at this site http://www.geocities.com/snakes_of_sa/boomslang.html
(note: this is from FitzSimons book "A Field Guide to the Snakes of Southern Africa" which is copyright 1970).

If you have a medical background, this abstract details the symptoms :
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10775761&dopt=Abstract

In their book "Snakes of Zimbabwe" (copyright 1975) DG Broadley and EV Cock describe the venom and symptoms as follows:

"Bites from this species are fortunately rare and, in general, confined to snake catchers.

The venom is slow-acting with almost its total effect confined to the blood and blood vessels. It is a very potent venom drop for drop, but fortunately the venom yield is very small.

Initially there is little local pain or swelling, with a consequent reduction in the intensity of shock symptoms, although these may still be present.

Within an hour of a bite a 'splitting' headache develops which lasts a variable time. The fang punctures start to bleed several hours later, followed by bleeding from any cuts, scratches or mouth ulcers. This bleeding gets progressively worse until, twelve or more hours after the bite, blood starts to appear in saliva, urine, vomit and faeces. Persistent vomiting is a common symptom at this stage. Within twentyfour hours of a severe bite (longer in a less severe bite) large 'bruises' appear under the skin, particulalry where there has been any pressure, as for instance under rucksack straps and where the base of the rucksack strikes the lower back, on the buttocks and thighs. These areas of bleeding below the skin vary in size from small spots, noted especially on the mucous membranes, to huge purple patches under the armpits. The victim may complain of seeing everything in shades of yellow, as a result of bleeding at the back of the eyes. Weakness and low blood pressure resulting from blood loss and vomiting precede unconsciousness, convulsions and death.

Following severe sublethal bites or treatment which has been only partially effective or instituted late, it may take three to four days for bleeding to stop, a week or more for blood changes to become more normal, and several weeks for the subcutaneous haemorrhages to disappear."

Luckily, bites from this snake are rare as they are primarily arboreal, and shy.

I remember reading somewhere more giraffes die each year from boomslang bites than from any other animal. Can't remember where I read that, so take it as you will.

Hope this helps you out Ashley.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back