Olive enclosure ideas please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keelow

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting an olive python pretty soon, but varied views on enclosure size have left me a bit perplexed as to what to build.

What size are you guys keeping yours in, i'd rather build something with a bit of room, i like my snakes to have plenty of room.

Post me some pics so i can grab some ideas.

Thanks
Stu

Saw some nice tigers on Phillip island today... crappy day not much sun. good season coming up.

oops i must have deleted that bit.

well from about 80-90cms, upto a yearling.

My basic size was going to be 7x3x2
but am just curious what other sizes you guys have.
and the heating/lighting requirements on heating a large enclosure like that.

i have a murray about 90-100cms in a 5 x 4 x 2 now and he loves the top half and rarely ventures down to the bottom half... so i dont want wasted space.

I'm thinking about moving my olive into a larger enclosure at the moment. He's about 6' long now, and could probably stay in his current enclosure for a while yet, but the opportunity came up for a larger enclosure, so.......

Current enclosure is 95 cm wide x 80 cm high x 60 cm deep, which seems to suit him very well at this size, so I reckon anything this size or a bit smaller would last him for quite a long time - at least 18 months, imo. He's always been in a fairly large enclosure, and it has never fazed him, although some do say that they prefer smaller.
Pictures here : http://www.aussiepythons.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php.

Question for all the olive owners out there - in your experience (not what you've read on the web! :)) do they like to climb? I've picked up a ver ycheap enclosure for him, that could be oriented either way, and the preferred op[tion for my room is higher, rather than wider. Is that ok or do you think they would prefer landscape, rather than portrait?? ;-)

Thanks in advance for thoughts on this.

i'm curious about the climbing thing, coz i can re-house my murray into a 3x4x2 and he'll be happy.
Then it saves me building a MASSIVE box for an olive, i need to pull out the lighting/heating anyway and put in a heat panel and a single tube fluro....

Anyway ideas are encouraged...

Saw some nice tigers on Phillip island today... crappy day not much sun. good season coming up.

Urururururur!!! What were the tigers like? Where did you see them?? The nicest tiger I've ever seen was on Phillip Island. Large snake, jet black above, bright bright yellow below, absolutely gorgeous!

standard black upper, yellow belly ones... and a slightly banded looking one, but i was moving fast under the shrubs, couldnt get a good look at it, and my camera went flat while i was fishing...

Cape woolamai seems to be the hook up, i've seen over 30 tigers there since last year.... some very big ones. never a snake hook with me. till now:)

When the shearwaters come back for nesting the place will crawl... great time to go.

Question for all the olive owners out there - in your experience (not what you've read on the web! ) do they like to climb?
David,
olives will definately climb given the opportunity. While I don't actually provide my adults with climbing branches, I have done with juviniles and sub adults in the past and they all use them. I actually haven't come across any species of python that doesn't climb to some extent if given the opportunity. Obviously some are more adept than others but they all seem to climb from time to time.

Hi David. Your boy's sister likes a good climb, she's in a 1200mm high enclosure that she climbs in, also used to love to go up the shelves to the ceiling in the hall cupboard, but she's a bit big for that now, she'd pull stuff off shelves and might hurt herself, so she's not allowed to do that anymore and has to make do with her designated branches.

Hey Niccy babe, a coat stand in the middle of the lounge room will keep her just as happy as the linen cupboard and nothing to fall off :)

I find olives climbing all the time. The last one I found was up in the rafters of a public toilet in Kakadu :).

The biggest I have ever found in a tree was a smidge over 7ft.

Brodie

what kind of humidity levels are we talking for Olives?

and i assume the temps would be the same as for most northern species 28-32/35 ish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back