Sphagnum moss

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
no... I'm not going to talk about how much sphagnum moss is great with ice-cream, or some apparently randomly selected annecdote from my meanderings with something vaguely sphagnum moss related... don't worry.

Does anyone know of a good place to get hold of sphagnum moss? I've never bought it before, but don't really feel all that much like collecting it at the moment. Is the nursery the place to go? Or is there some other secret that a green moss buyer like myself may not yet be aware of?

Oops, no pun intended... really.

Id love to know where to get some soft greenlive stuff myself, been after it for awhile for frogs.
seems you can can only get dry stuff like birds nest material at hardware garding sections etc.
Ill be watching this thread. Anyone knows where to get live in sydney be great, thanks.

Yeah, that's why I've collected it... well, that and the whole it's free and I'd otherwise be paying someone else to collect it, and they'd probably be less conscientious about the way in which they collected it than I'd be.... or do they farm it?

You can buy it at Woolworths or bunnings or and garden centre.
My father in law has a place where sphagnum moss grows in the tire ruts when it rains alot. :)
If you get some of the dead stuff and put it into a pond, you can apparently get some to grow.

Hey John,
Gee we could have answered that for you in person tonight when you were over
:) We get ours from Bunnings as well.. :wink:

Has young Ben settled in back home now?

Take care, Jude

Has young Ben settled in back home now?

He got really excited when I took him back into my room, he seemed to recognise that he was home. He's been really active since I put him back in his enclosure, I'm not sure if he misses his girlfriend or if he's hungry. I'll give him a rat tomorrow and we'll see :)

guys is the stuff at bunnings woolies fresh though or dryed?

Sorry guys i have only ever found the dry stuff at bunnings..woolies etc etc all comes from the land of the long white cloud...

cheers

I have had the dried stuff go green and start growing again given regular moisture and sunlight when used to line hanging baskets or backing elk and stag ferns.

Our main use for it is of course is providing some bedding with moisture retaining properties that the pythons can lay their eggs on.

If my recollection is correct peat moss is broken down sphagnum moss. It does not lookas good being dark but can be easily sterilised and also has excellent water retention properties.

I think that the reason that most sphagnum moss comes from the land of the long white cloud is that it is not available in evironmentally sustainable quantities in Australia. When it comes from NZ it probably has to be dried to get it through quarantine.

$7 for a ag of fresh stuff at bunningas today, nice and green and moist but bag is only 500g.

I ended up collecting some as well as buying some. I bought a 5 litre bag of the brunnings brand stuff ($8). I like what I collected more :)

er... why did my $8 come out like a shades guy? :shock: :)
hmm... 8: :8 (8 8) there it is!
new smiley for me to use! :p

if you can find it. use attunga brand sphagnum moss. it is still green and alive. should be found at any good garden centre.

Moosenoose: that's what I was using it for today! :) I try to keep away from keeping plants, but I'm getting a bit hooked :cry:

venus flytraps are kool,but mine always died after afew weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back