In my backyard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dobermanmick

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I woke up this morning yelling at my dogs to shut up !

When they wouldnt i went to check why..... there was a koala climbing across our back fence between the gum trees !

The most unusual thing is that fence is between my yard and the railway lines and we are only about 25km from brissy so its notl ike there are no trains going by !
They have to take risks due to the fact that there habitat is slowly being destroyed .

We also get possums going past on the back fence as well .

wow man nice as, though it would of been better if it was a brown or something. but cool anyways.
cheers
pete

Better if it was a Brown? **** man, there a billions of Brown snakes around, but bugger all Koala's.

Mick - if you have Koala's around, why the hell do you own dogs!?!

Good stuff man! I would be keeping my eye on the dogs Mick now that you know you have koala's in the area!

We live 2 kilometeres from the city and our garden is full of wildlife. I was sitting out there earlier today watching eastern water skinks chasing each other around. We also have eastern water dragons, eastern blue tongues, the occasional common tree snake, brush-tailed and ring-tailed possums and heaps of bird life!

Hopefully we will have frogs soon as i have recently put a nice little pond out there.

Oh yeah, we also have heaps of Asian house geckoes at night. Although they are not native they are pretty cool to watch!

Daniel

We live in an area that has been established with houses for over 30 years that fence at the back is 4 metres high
We have 6 ft colourbond fencing around the rest of the yard , we dont have any gum trees in our yard so there is no need for them to come into our yard so for our dogs to even get close to them it would have to fall off the fence which i think would be unlikely .

They are in your area...they can climb just about anything, and walk over ground. Going by your name, you own Dobermans...

Your choice. I know what I'd be doing.

Since when were koalas scarce? Those things are virtually vermin, in some areas literally vermin.

On one island they are vermin.

I spend a lot of time in the bush. I have seen one wild one on Cunninghams Gap, 7 years ago. I also so another crossing the road near Greenbank. That's it...

No offence Mick, but there are too many fools with big, drooling killing machines for pets. There's no need...sure, they are cool, but if you can't seperate your pets from our wildlife, you shouldn't own them...

Yep mate two dobermans .
I would love to see one get his claws into a colourbond fence and climb it !
We have lived in this house over 4 years and this is the first Koala that i have seen climb along the top of the fence .
And i did not leave the dogs there to attack the Koala i took them and locked them out the front so the Koala could move along undisturbed.
And i also know what i will be doing with my dogs NOTHING why should i get rid of them the three houses to the park at the end of the raod also have dogs same as just about everyone else in the street so i cant see how getting rid of mine would benifit them at all
We dont live in a Koala corridor so what else can i do ???
Just like your cat i will do what i can to stop my dogs injuring wildlife.

That's the same attitude people who litter have. "Everyone else does it, why shouldn't I?". And because of that attitude, nothing will change.

My dad has photos (they were actually on the front page of the newspaper 30 years ago) of a Koala hanging on to a 3 metre tall galvanized steel post. They can climb just about anything...

And maybe the reason you haven't seen any Koalas is because there a two Dobermans in your backyard? And what about the possums? I'm sure they get on the ground...

Also When have i said my dog was roaming free and trying to attack them NEVER

Have you seen one climb a colourbond fence i havent .

You do know they live in gum trees so if you are looking elsewhere you wont find them !
we have heaps around the petrie area about 5 mins up the road as that is a corridoor for them .

You found one in your backyard and you have no gum trees. Your dogs could quite easily stress the koala, causing them to fall off the fence.

Some people shouldnt have animals..... Some wankas out there

You did the right thing by the looks mate, not many people would have the initiative to do that. Well done ;)

Re: RE: In my backyard

Acanthophis said:
You dont see any koalas coz ur dobermans eat em all :p
What a load of crap those things would tear my dogs apart if they got anywhere near them .
why dont you guys grow up !
tell me why i should get rid of my dogs Get rid of you Cat from what you say you cant stop an animals natural instincts so feed your cat to your snakes as my dogs arnt going anywhere !

The fence that it was on is 4 metres high so my dog has no chance of jumping up they jump about 7 feet at the most

also the Koala was on the fence between my place and the rail so there was nothing on the other side other then trains

koalas are horrible, I might get some big dogs to keep the little bastards away.

Not having a stab at you mick but koalas will commonly come to the ground at night in search of new food trees and even placid dogs will attack koalas as they usually see them as a threat and yes they can climb on just about anything.(once again I'm not having a go at you)

Mick - my cat lives inside. Bar the odd cockroach, he only eats Kit-E-Kat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back