Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kevyn said:
You really should check facts before insulting someones country.

I agree, don't jump down peoples throats and insult their country, you are stereotyping a contry as to all have the same opinion and same likes and dislikes.
Don't be so quick to judge and and make sure what your saying is true before having such a strong opinion on it

All I said was its a designer snake. It is, as are a lot of the carpets being bred here in Australia.

And all I said is that if selective breeding moves to the extent in Australia that it is in the US and Canada I will stop keeping reptiles.

How is that offending someones country?

That snake would NOT be found in the wild, so how is my statement wrong? It is man made in my opionion because a snake like that would not occur without corssing certain genes. Sure, to some extent it is natrural, but in my opinion it is man made. NO different to the high BG jungles you see for sale in Australia. NO different to the albino carpets and olives being bred in Australia. It is wrong IMO

And that comment about being shot? That was a joke, sorry I dont use smilies in my posts.

People can keep whatever they want, it is not my place to condem for keeping such an animal!

The main flaw in your argument is that this snake was found in the wild. Other wise it wouldn't be here. It's fact. It is rare, but albino do occur in the wild. Like I said check your facts.

And btw, the comment about shooting people, was very insulting.

ahh I know albinos occur in the wild. The Albino Carpet Python was found about 5 minutes from where I am sitting right now.

It was to my understanding from your posts that this snake itself was not found in the wild?
If it was I apologise ;)

It is man made. I disagree with all that crap.

You would NEVER find that snake in the wild.

To echo Kevyns post, albino's are not man made freaks of nature, they are a natural occourence. Acanthopis, as for never turning up in the wild, where do you think the albino olives and carpets that are being produced originally came from?Yep, the wild!
selectively breeding for certain colour traits is wrong
Why?
if australia ever becomes like the US and Canada, I will stop keeping reptiles
better hand your licence in now mate, I can tell you thats exactly where we are heading.

This is a designer python, it is bloody ugly and people who keep and breed such animals should be shot.
Acanthopis, whats your beef with people selective breeding? Obviously they appeal to the majority or they wouldn't command such high prices.

No that snake wasn't. Like I said they have been bred for the colour traits. But again you're just going to tell me that it's wrong and we should all be shot. Inferring that it shouldn't be kept unless it's a wild caught specimen just makes no sense. But I'm just not going to see your point of veiw.

Before I resign from this thread, let me say this. All that is done with colour morphs is establishing a captive population of a gentic and random trait occuring from a wild caught specimen. Nothing more.

It's dicey. It's to articficial for my liking. I HOPE that australia doesent become like that!
Why can't we just be content with the great species we already have!?

Acanthophis said:
And all I said is that if selective breeding moves to the extent in Australia that it is in the US and Canada I will stop keeping reptiles

I reckon your reptile keeping days might be numbered then, as within 10 years their will be albino crosses of most of the carpet python subspecies here in australia, the M.s.variegata will be crossed, you can be sure of it.
Selective breeding is already happening with most species to a greater or lesser extent, as mentioned with jungles and Hypo bredli, and loads of others.

Selective breeding of dogs and cats and loads of animals has been happening for decades, what's wrong with snakes.

Are you saying that if you had 6 adult snakes, you wouldn't try pairing up the best looking male and female to produce good looking young??

Most people here in Australia just haven't had the chance to obtain albino's to selectively breed, that will change in the next few years with the variegata, and to be honest I think they will be well recieved by the majority once they have seen and held one.

i have no problem with selective breeding with nice animals, look at simon stones jungles and Bredli's, great looking animals. i personally dont like some of the genetic breeding like that boa, the only thing i can see myself likly keeping would be albinos, but im not willing to spend alot of money on a gentic hicup.

about that boa, i prefer snakes that dont look like candy canes

Agree. All over australia right now there is selective breeding happening. Nothing wrong with it. The offspring may not be to everyones liking but who cares. Those pioneers doing it now will be forgotton in the future when albinos are common and people are commenting on the ' ugly ' normal ones.

I never said that everybody needs to love morphs. I could careless. I personally do like morphs, but prefer the normals way more. For me nothing beats the beauty of locality Retics like Sulawesi, Selayars, Bali, Makassar, Java, etc... . But like what everyone else hear has said it's just a matter of selective breeding, that's all. No one's growing anything out of a test-tube.

Tommo said:
i have no problem with selective breeding with nice animals, look at simon stones jungles and Bredli's, great looking animals. i personally dont like some of the genetic breeding like that boa, the only thing i can see myself likly keeping would be albinos, but im not willing to spend alot of money on a gentic hicup.

Yeah, that just about sums up how I feel about the whole issue. People have been selective breeding all sorts of animals for certain traits for decades. Some have turned out pretty freaky and some have turned out well.

I think it boils down to personal choice, and the majority will probably decide in the long run through market pressure. If people don't buy them, then they'll fade away. If the majority like them, then they'll continue to be bred.

As I said, I think it looks a little freaky, but that's me. I'd never say that someone else doesn't have the right to own it - it just doesn't suit me! :wink:

lutzd said:
Tommo said:

Yeah, that just about sums up how I feel about the whole issue. People have been selective breeding all sorts of animals for certain traits for decades. Some have turned out pretty freaky and some have turned out well.

I think it boils down to personal choice, and the majority will probably decide in the long run through market pressure. If people don't buy them, then they'll fade away. If the majority like them, then they'll continue to be bred.

As I said, I think it looks a little freaky, but that's me. I'd never say that someone else doesn't have the right to own it - it just doesn't suit me! :wink:

WHAT :shock: !

someone agrees with me :shock:

As I said, I think it looks a little freaky, but that's me. I'd never say that someone else doesn't have the right to own it - it just doesn't suit me!
I feel the same way about those little rat-dogs. If you have to bend over to pat it, then it's not really a dog.

I do not like look of that snake. But I am not judging people who do like this selective bred animals and trying to come with something extraordinary. Most of them doing this as hoby and I do not think that I have place here to bag them. If they do not mix species, fine with me.
After all I loved the albino Olive on wild expo in Sydney.

I love some of the morphs around but that snake does nothing for me...

Selective breeding is done by most people who breed snakes they select the best looking animals for colour or pattern traits or just the best looking animals in general.I think it is wrong to say that genetic freaks such as albinos or say the pieballed stimsons that was in athread not far back wouldn't survive in the wild,that;s where they were found and i believe there was an adult albino red belly caught a while back as well,seems like they all survived well till they were caught!!!

I love designer snakes! If you own a fair few "wild type" pythons, like it or not, you have already probably bought line bred snakes that were SELECTIVELY bred for being eager rodent feeders, or having good temperments or for health reasons. Line breeding for these sort of traits isnt any different or "unatural" than breeding for colour or pattern.Im not saying that everyone should love morphs, but I dont believe there is any need for such an aggressive stance on the topic.

Why would you want a pink snake and how the hell would you breed one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back