keelback

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: keelback

"I have seen a few QLD ones, but yes, your right, the ones I saw dropped their tails (not a huge number) were all from the NT. Before I saw this happen first hand, I used to tail them ooops hehehehe. Luckily none ive handled dropped their tails. I would feel bad hahaha

Very interesting. I'll have to get some experience with NT ones, it would be very, very interesting if there were differences that extreme between the two localities.

When I feed my GTS I just put in a container of water with the goldfish in it. I normally use a chinese take-away container but if you are going to have water permanently in the enclosure then you could simply put the fish straight in. I find that once a week is enough for my GTS, Keelbacks would be similar.

Is it just me or does anyone else reckon Brodie regrets deleting his account? :D

Also it is great fun watching them latch on to the fish! Water goes everywhere and the fish is usually half way down while still alive.

I usually give mine thawed fish, my method of choice (for some strange reason) is to impale the fishs' tails with wooden skewers then presenting them to the snakes, which grab them in their jaws and rip them off. I sometimes use vitamin (but never calcium)supplements, due to what I've heard about thiaminase in thawed fish. They'll also fetch dead fish out of the water and usually off the cage floor too, but I almost never offer food off skewers.

the one me and brodie found a fogg dam wat a bloody mental.

BRODIE WANTS ME TO WRITE-
"actually greebo, i never deleted my account, but for some reason I cant post or read pm's"

You don't need too good a nose to smell the fish around here at the moment.

I keep them in a tub half on, half off a heat mat. The temperature varies over the year and each day. The cool end is 'room temperature' and the warm end varies between about 17 degrees on the coldest winter nights up to about 38 on the warmest summer days. They seem very hardy when it comes to temperature, they are still usually keen to feed at temperatures at low at 20C or so.

Keelbacks are non venomous. Some people have recently started saying that all snakes are venomous (?!?!). If they eat live food you can see wriggles in their bellies :)

Dr. Brian Fry is a strong supporter of the all snakes are venomous theory and has written a fair bit about it

Most colubrids are now considered venomous. There has been lots of research done on this topic for the last year or so, and over the last 6 months hundreds of papers by different scientists have been released.

The pioneer of this research is Dr. Bryan Fry of the Australian Venom Research Unit in Melbourne. You can read some of his very interesting scientific papers on this subject at www.venomdoc.com. If you arent good at science, you will never understand his papers.
his contact details are on the site so email him if you have any questions.

Keelbacks are considered venomous, as are most colubrids.

If all snakes are venomous, I am too. I have teeth which can break your skin and enzymes in my saliva that can break down animal proteins.

And oh, its not a theory. It has been proven by several people now.

Certainly explains a lot of the things I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back