Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyror

Reaction score
Hey,

Nearly ran this poor little critter over coming into my drive way this evening...

Anybody know what species it is? I don't have any good frog ID books handy, but i have seen them around here before so i suspect they are fairly common.

A pic of it sitting on a mirror so you can see its belly and/or veiw of its inner thigh would be very helpful for id (as with any frog) . going by the toepads its arboreal or semi arboreal. hoe long is it snout to vent? when constricted (bright light) does the iris go vertical or horizontal? All i can say is, its a frog, not a toad. :wink:

If you think thats a toad you must have problems!!

It id definatly a member of the genus Litoria. It is very difficult to give an accurate identification without more photos showing the critical feature, like belly, back legs etc. Where did you find it and what waas its size??

Alexahnder

looks a bit like litoria jerviensis [jervis bay tree frog] but your a bit far north, unless its an escaped pet? really hard to id without looking at hind leg/ inner thighs, vent etc. then again, you say youve seen the same species before? not likely jerviensis then. did it change color? possibly an odd colored litoria dentata [bleating tree frog/keferstein's tree frog. did you hear it call? calls can help with id too. :wink:

Damn, I was gonna say peron's tree frog too.
You can tell by the cross pattern on the eye.

moosenoose said:
...the only thing getting cross-eyed around here is me looking at your avatar Mags! :lol: :lol: :lol:

flipping scarey stuff.... :lol:

Sorry fellas, i gotta disagree, the tympanum of this one is quite distinct unlike peroni, quite a bit larger too, although its difficult to accuratly determin size. Peroni does come well within the range tho. the mystery frog dosent appear to have webbing between the toes, going by the pic, whereas peroni does. Im trying to id this froggy now out of sheer curiosity! :D

On the other hand, it may be a perons, heres a pic i found looks closer, cant really see the belly of mystery frog tho.
http://www.fats.org.au/frogs/frogs/lperonii.html

I just went down stairs to look at mine...instar you could be right..however the font webbing is the same as my peroni...but doesnt have the back and yellow markings.....so I dont know.

Sorry guys, i don't have photos with the details that you request. But i do have these two which may offer a little additional detail to the first 3.

I have seen these in lighter shades of brown, and often in shades of grey. They have a yellow stripe or pattern on the backs of their hind legs. IMO it does look like a peronii compared to the photos in the above links.

I'm going for perons. Common in my area too although I haven't seen one in a while. In the last photo you can see some yellow in the armpit.

Ok - Got another one for you. What is this little guy?

Found in coastal NSW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back