relocation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakegirl

Reaction score
I was driving near an industrial site where there is a piece of bushland beside it - about 400 metres across and it goes back a fair way... the thing is there is a beautiful big 8-10 foot coastal living there, she has been sited on the side of the road, it is only a matter of time before they pull the bush down... I spoke to wildlife parks place and she said technically it is against the law, she also said a blind eye could be turned if it is relocated up Mt Mee by a proper snake guy... the issue is, do i call this guy now or go find the snake and then call him... it could take days to find her home and this guy might not be as passionate about this as I am... what should I do? I have seen her once and she is a beauty I cant stand by and watch her be destroyed with the scrubland so they can build...??

I would not relocate the snake. As nasty as it is, letting it die is preferable to moving it. This discussion has been had many times before.

Before jumping on me for saying this, spend a few years studying pathogens and population ecology.

You would really rather see it die ? I know relocation can be a problem for it but at least it would have a chance that way ? JMO *Jump stomp * :lol:

You would really rather see it die ? I know relocation can be a problem for it but at least it would have a chance that way ? JMO

Yes, I would. My concern is not that relocation will hurt the individual snake.

More info sdaji...please

Not this time. I've been through this too many times before. Read the archives, it's all in there.

People will argue with me and everyone has the right to their opinion, but this is mine. We shouldn't let the feel good factor of the (possibly very slim) possibility of saving one individual get in the way of protecting the population it is to be moved to.

No but what it could do to the other populations ?
I understand this but what do snake removers do with there snakes after removal ?

What potential effects can you see from doing this other then lack of food ....?

What potential effects can you see from doing this other then lack of food ....?

A heck of a lot. I'm not getting into this again, it's been done too many times before. I'm not posting in this thread again, it's inevitable that ignorant people will start going nuts arguing and I don't want any part of it. (no, I don't mean either of you two).

OK so whatabout your regular rescues and relocations that occur all the time?Does that mean a carpet rescued from someones house in Brisbane for example, and lrelocated out of harms way will interfere or be responsible for the decline in another population?Or a jungle found in someones shed in Innisfail being relocated up the road into the rainforest?

RE: Re: RE: relocation

hey, i know where sdaji is comming from. Studies have been done on snake relocation where 98% of snake relocated over 1km from where they were captured, died. But whos to say this snake will not be in the 2%. If i were u snakegirl, i would probably just find another closeby suitable habitat and try and relocate the snake. I doubt that one snake is going to have major effects on the population. Snakes do get around, especially at this time of year.

Snakegirl,

Find your reptile relocator and tell him your story and see what he says. He may go and have a look anyway - and might get lucky - or he might ask you to call him when you next see it.

And in regards to the other comments: Sdaji has an opinion (actually, he's stuffed full of opinions), and many people probably disagree with him. But he is entitled to his opinion and in this forum he is certainly entitled to express his opinions (no matter how wrong they may be!:twisted:).

The thing to remember is that for many of these discussions there are two sides to the argument. There are certainly good arguments for not moving the snake, but there are just as many good reasons to go ahead with the relocation. It's hearing both sides of the story that gives us a better understanding of our animals.

:p

Hix

i think talking to your relocation guy is a good step. He may come up with a few ideas, as its his buisness to know what to do with wild snakes.

Imo if the snake was to be relocated to another place then i would rather see it but too sleep. Imo i think that moving the animal would either kill it, or it's competition, and i would hate to see any animal suffer, so putting the animal to sleep i think would be the best option.

Maybe if you did a little research and could come up with a good arguments about relocating it, and the effect it could have on its new location, the department may find somewhere like a zoo or something to save its life. JMO :)

Burn me at the stake but i think any animal that big having to be relocated a long distance from where it was found should go into the captive breeding pool rather than being euthanised or put into an area that hasn't been studied and determined suitable. At least it can survive and maybe even breed and prosper. JMO

Sdaij pulled me up once on relocating a snake, initially i dismissed it and disagreed with his view. After getting the books out and reading up on snake movement patterns etc, and after talking to other experienced herps, I realized how wrong it can be to move a snake. Sjadi is correct in what he is saying, it is still very hard to condem an animal to a certain fate.
womas4me has the best alternative, but then everyone would use the excuse ' helping it off the road ' or 'clearing the land' to build their stock of breeding animals.
There is no easy answer to humans clearing land, Im sure the snake won't be the only animal affected. We will need to explain to our kids what it used to be like with bushland and real animals just down the road. These lakes and nature corridors they put in the new estates are a joke.
Enough of my sunday morning soap-box.

Yes I belive Sdaji has a valid point .
Its just hard to think that it will die :( and theres nothing we can do :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back