What's preventing the ol' switcharoo?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

Reaction score
What laws (for different states) if any prevent a licensed reptile keeper from replacing a captive bred animal with a wild one, or making a false claim to a number of hatchlings (ie. submitting that someone got 10 reptiles when they only had 5 eggs)?
Just a random thought I had, not something I'd do myself or condone.

Jay

RE: What

Laws do not PREVENT anything. They do PROHIBIT certain actions such as the ones you mention.

Which laws? The ones we are licensed under.

Cheers
Michael

I understand that in NSW if you get investigated and they wish to pursue a case against you they will use DNA sampling to trace the source of your animals.

And also i think "honesty" plays a big part in it too.

Re: RE: What

peterescue said:
I understand that in NSW if you get investigated and they wish to pursue a case against you they will use DNA sampling to trace the source of your animals.

Intresting Pete, This is one pro for pedigree animals I hadnt thought of! Might be really hard to trace where a certain animal came from, unless they had Dna with which to compare it?

RE: Re: RE: What

This was the theory behind why that GTP was stolen last week. Somebody probably had one on their books that died and wanted to replace it. Unfortunatly for Daren it seems that it was easier to purloin one from him than take one from the wild.

been stories of this sort of thing happening for ages, comes down to the risk, and if you are caught you'd probably lose the animals which are legit.........big price to pay

though losing a GTP would tempt u ay... pluss u could sell the hatchlings as pure aussies, i wonder what would b said about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back