Released to the wild

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linus

Reaction score
This is something I've been asked several times and I've never been able to provide a clear answer. So I'll ask the pros.

If you have a snake or lizard in captivity from birth and then you released it into the wild would it survive?

Just to clarify, I have no intention of doing this but I am curious. I would think that the snakes/lizards survival instincts would takeover and it would be able to hunt live prey etc. Would this be the case?

Surely it would depend on the coditions in which u kept them in in the first place. say no handling, make them do things like they would in the wild...wouldn't u then b able to release them?

If you have a snake or lizard in captivity from birth and then you released it into the wild would it survive?
Proberly not. Predator avoidance is very difficult, most wild animals don't make it anyhow but an animal that has lived in a secure box and has lost most of its fear of large creatures walking past would be at a huge disadvantage.

Also read this http://www.anapsid.org/release.html

Ok thanks guys. Thanks for the link Fuscus.

Good point about losing the fear of large animals too.

before i got my license i had a blue tounge for bout 1.5 years from birth. I ended up getting bored of it and planned to release it. I kept it in an outside enclosure with lots of foliage and cover for about 3 months. I did not hold it in this time at all. I placed snails and crickets in the enclosure every few days but scattered them so as tho he would need to hunt. Anyway, i released him in my garden and over the following months i saw him crawling around numerous timesand he didnt hang around for me to admire him. I havnt seen him in ages but we r very very close to thick bush i would say he moved on.

before i got my license i had a blue tounge for bout 1.5 years from birth. I ended up getting bored of it and planned to release it. I kept it in an outside enclosure with lots of foliage and cover for about 3 months. I did not hold it in this time at all. I placed snails and crickets in the enclosure every few days but scattered them so as tho he would need to hunt. Anyway, i released him in my garden and over the following months i saw him crawling around numerous timesand he didnt hang around for me to admire him. I havnt seen him in ages but we r very very close to thick bush i would say he moved on.

*cringe*

I once lost a young diamond and found it 1 year later in my back yard. It was about 80cm longer (and much more wild in temperament). A friend lost hatchling spotteds and found them a year later in his backyard. They were much larger and had survived a winter in Wollongong. Reptiles aren't dumb. They dont just forget how to hunt because they're no longer in a heated cage and because of a pythons secretive behaviour i think they would avoid detection from most cats/dogs/people. Its amazing how quickly they turn wild, even when you're just moving dragons and blueys from indoors out into a pit. They often turn wild in the pit and take off at the slightest disturbance.

If the place is good, u think bluey's will survive if taken through the same process that ackie did? i would love to have some wild ones again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back