Burrowing frogs, tree frogs and Marsh frog info please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

Reaction score
Looking for information from people that have kept or curently keep any of these frogs. Information on general tank size requirements, temps, humidity, feeding, heat sources, vivarium requirements, and contact details for people around sydney-newcastle that are expecting or have frogs for sale. I only want information from keepers of frogs please (no web sites), or contacts.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)
Thanx,

Jay

i keep marsh frogs and brown tree frogs. i have no heat what so ever as they are from down here. they are kept in a 3ft tank with half land half water. they are feed every second day on crickets.
i have plenty of plants rocks and branches for the frogs to hide in. i have also found that bird nest ferns are best for hiding. also if you value your sleep keep them out of your room.

Same,have just had 35 brown trees develop all living 2gether in one of those typical octagonal frog tanks with the water partisan.just have those fake bendy vines for climbing but all they wanna do is stick 2 the glass. Mine far more active at night as well.

So Mark(Fuscus), I guess if someone in the riverland :?: , had a heap of Tads in a tank at a food and fodder place, and I advised em that they should not sell the froggies once they've hatched?? that they should put them back in the puddle they found em??? am I right in saying this please???

I keep Green tree frogs and Dainty Tree Frogs. For Green Tree Frogs a higher tank is preferable. I use spagnum moss as a substrate, and have a small bowl of water sitting on the floor of the tank. I have several branches sitting in the tank.

For the Daintys i have one of those plastic aquariums with the clip on lid. I have moistened spagnum moss as a substrate and a bowl of water sitting on the floor of the cage. I also have cuttings from palms sitting in the cage which which the daintys use to rest on during the day.

Good luck obtaining any 'true' burrowing frogs. Those are very rare in captivity. I was talking to someone who kept a desert burrowing frogs and he had a tank which was full of sand. Once a year he flodded the tank at waited for the frog to surface. Once it had emerged it was fed and then the tank was allowed to dry out.

For frogs in the Mixophyas genus, which will burrow a tank with a bowl of water, and a deep peat moss substrate, will be sufficiant.

For Ground frogs, an adequatly sized tank with a spagnum moss substrate and appropriate hiding spots and a bowl of water will be sufficiant.

Hope this is some help,

Alex

Thanks for the help all.
Ive decided on some brown striped marsh frogs.
Ive got a 1500 long by 460 high by 360 wide fish tank that i'm goin to use for them.
How many of adults of the species could be kept in a tank this size without problems (ie. fighting) arising?
Apart from spaghnum moss substrate, hides, and a water bowl what other cage features would they need, as in do they climb alot? Also do they require UV lighting?

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back