Exercising larger snakes??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Apart from the climbing logs and floor space in his enclosure, how would i safely go about exercising blocker? When handling he seems like he wants to go for a wonder around. I can seal my bedroom to make it escape proof, but is this a good idea? and how do other people do this for their larger snakes?
And if i do let him roam my bedroom, what should i look out for to prevent him harming himself or getting "lost"?

Cheers, Alan.

A bit of common sense goes a long way Al, try to keep powerboards out of his way, if theres lots of
leads etc, he could conceivably pull one part way out and get zapped. Away from any open heat sorce or anywhere he can pull things off shelves an ontop of himself. Most of all be aware hell dissappear under lounge cushions etc the minute ya turn ya back! Check before ya sit down. :D

I take mine outside on the lawn and down to the park .
I let them have their fun on the grass ,but i keep a constant eye out for birds and other animals that could pose a threat to them .
Otherwise i just let them crawl on me and on the floor for the larger ones .But like instar says watch out,if it looks like it can hurt them it will ! prevention is better then the cure !

I used to let monty free roam on the back lawn, climb the tree, washing line etc, but Al is an Apartment dweller. Nothin like open lawn and a freindly tree, bit of shine, just him n me!
Not sure if Id trust the park tho, Id be worried about peoples dogs, and more worried about the people! :lol:

i just let mine have the run of the house ,and let the others out to roam the house once a week ,and take them out side for some sun and grass weekly.

The people are really funny :lol:
You get lots of stares and some have morbid facination and have to take a look :)
Havent converted any yet though !
And inny I am careful to take them down when not to many people are around and i always have them out of the way of most people ,and keep a good lookout for dogs .

I used to put my 7ft carpet up my grapefruit tree for around 8hrs every couple of weekends. He could'nt reach any other trees, and was big enough (4 metres high) for him to have a good climb.
This used to be great exercise for him, but i have sinced stopped because i dont have enough time to hang around the house to keep an eye on him. He got away once, turned up 2 weeks later in my aviary, hanging from one of the high perches. He almost ate my female hooded parrot too!

Another good exercise i used to use for my snakes is swimming. I used to put mine in one of those kids swimming pools you can buy from K-mart, and tap their tail to make them swim around. This method is sometimes used when conducting physiological studies (effect of toad toxin etc...) on snakes. The pool is used instead of of using treadmills.

-H

-H

i am with nephrurus, swimming is fantastic exercise, we fill the kiddy pool in summer also they love it

can they go into a swimming pool? or would the chemicals cause harm. when my bredli gets bigger it will be allowed free range of my room though atm all my stuff is to small and can disapear in about the time it takes to blink.

oh my hatchling bredli, about 60 cm (long tail included) and about the thinkness of ur lil finger, except if u have big fingers. it ate 4 fuzzies in one sitting!!! when i got it like 1.5 months ago it was hard as to get it to eat one.

Not too sure about the pool chems. in larger pools pete that is why i just use a kiddys pool cost me about 60 bucks from K-mart and is 1.8 x 2.4 x .3 it is perfect they have a great time in it and i just fill it with tap water when we want to use it

I usually let my larger snakes have a wander around the lounge room when I'm watching TV.... usually if they make "let me out" movements at the glass. You have to keep an eye on them though, and move them back when they want to go under furniture, etc. But they do seem to enjoy the occasional free range wander. They seem much more settled when they go back into their enclosure afterwards.

I am still in a little trouble from when mine crapped on the carpet.

The people are really funny
You get lots of stares and some have morbid facination and have to take a look
At our recent display, I had to laugh at one stupid woman. When I was getting my Murray-Darling out of its enclosure to put away, this woman actually screamed. Even the kiddies there laughed at her.

Yeah, I know! :) I recently purchased some large frozen rats, and when I went through the register, the operator actually had to stop and sit down, as she was almost vomiting. Not funny really, as she was obviously suffering greatly. It's strange how some people have phobias about this stuff.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back