Olive Or Water Python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: Olive Or Water Python?

does it show any interest in the pinkie? or just ignores it totally?

how difficult is it to buy an olive?

Most sellers won't hurt you too much or demand that you answer any riddles which are too confusing. I'm sure you'd be capable of it.

;)

Sdaji said:
Give me an Olive over a Water every day. They are wonderful snakes, in my experience very active and always happy to see you.

Olives are great, but I'd prefer an east coast water without a doubt :)
A week or two before my water python laid her eggs I opened up the cage to change the water and she came straight out, slithered up my arm, around my neck, down my other arm and straight back under the spotlight :) I never handle gravid snakes for fear of disturbing them, it was sort of like she was saying she missed me. Okay okay, yes, I know, I'm pathetic :oops: :roll: :lol:

Thats not pathetic, thats cool!!

how difficult is it to buy an olive?

Most sellers won't hurt you too much or demand that you answer any riddles which are too confusing. I'm sure you'd be capable of it.

And thats funny!!

I must say that I am so lucky with my olive girl. She is so calm and people love to play with her. I am using her as my handling snake for first contact people. She is 8 kg and newer had a go on anybody, newer constricted.
When I am watching tv, she always find me and prefer to climb on me, then on other people. I think that she recognize me , and feel secure by crawling on me.

Is the thread for gushing on about how much you love your Olive?
I gotta join in, my Olive started out a little fiesty, but now she's a sweetheart. Always active so great to watch, and soooo social, so even better to hold, she'll actively choose to climb on people as oposed to furniture given the choice, and Olives are great feeders.
If I had enough room I'd get another one yesterday!

olives are awsome, unfortunatly im only allowed 1 new snake (also possibly a filesnake) and im trying to decide whether to go for olives, bts of bredli

lol thanks guys, glad no-one is going to bite me or ask hard riddles (I'm not too hot on riddles)...

I meant - I have been looking around to see if I can buy them (trying to decide between an olive and a diamond, am only allowed one) and they don't seem to be found anywhere... that's what I call hard!

Slateman said:
I must say that I am so lucky with my olive girl. She is so calm and people love to play with her. I am using her as my handling snake for first contact people. She is 8 kg and newer had a go on anybody, newer constricted.
When I am watching tv, she always find me and prefer to climb on me, then on other people. I think that she recognize me , and feel secure by crawling on me.

Does this mean that they sometimes do constrict people? As in kill them? Excuse my ignorance, just trying to find out as much info as I can!

Yes. Any large Python can start constricting when you handling them. It depends on the animal temperament.
That is why you newer should handle large snakes along. If you have large 3 metre long olive arownd your neck, you have not much time to call for help if he constrict. It is instinkt and some animals do not have this habit. But you don't know when that can happen. Most of experianced handlers do know what is the limit.

Menagerie said:
Slateman said:

Does this mean that they sometimes do constrict people? As in kill them? Excuse my ignorance, just trying to find out as much info as I can!

Menagerie, Ive never heard a case of an aussie python killing anyone by constriction. most likely candidate for that would be be a very big scrubby or olive perhaps, but its unlikely. Most cases of constriction death we hear about are American keepers and huge reticulated pythons, etc.
On that note , snakes are incredibly strong, and its wise not to have a large snake around your neck, certainly not without someone around to help you out if your arms are caught in its coils.
Most fears of snakes in general are caused/based on urban myths. :wink:

p.s. I think "constriction" as slatey has applied it ,refers to the snake generally wrapping itself around you, this is normal behaviour as snakes feeling insecure or in danger of falling will naturally "hold on tight" weather its a human handler or a tree limb.

That is not what I ment Instar.
I was helping my friend in trouble once. He was showing me his 2.4 metre long coastal and turn blue in the face in seconds. Luckily I was there to help him quickly. If you are along in that situation, you can end up with injured snake by trying to get rid of the coiling animal in any cost to save your live.
And believe me 3 metre olive python 150 mm diameter can do lot of damage.

I meant - I have been looking around to see if I can buy them (trying to decide between an olive and a diamond, am only allowed one) and they don't seem to be found anywhere... that's what I call hard!
There should be plenty of hatchies for sale just after X-mas when all the little babies have emerged from their eggs.

Slateman said:
That is not what I ment Instar.
I was helping my friend in trouble once. He was showing me his 2.4 metre long coastal and turn blue in the face in seconds. Luckily I was there to help him quickly. If you are along in that situation, you can end up with injured snake by trying to get rid of the coiling animal in any cost to save your live.
And believe me 3 metre olive python 150 mm diameter can do lot of damage.

Oops Sorry Slatety! I did mention its not wise to put a large snake around your neck (Im assuming this happened to freind Slatey?) But reason is the same, snake is insecure and "holding on", its not deliberatly trying to kill you, no sense in wasting energy constricting to death something it cant eat. (im also assuming your freind dint smell like snake food)
There is no doubt it could kill you like this, if you were not strong enough to unwrap it, Infact ive had a similar experience, fortunaltly I WAS able to get him off, an i never put him round my neck again. Theoretically, a large enough carpet or olive etc could constrict quite tightly around your chest aswell and the same thing happen, if you were unable to uncoil it, for this reason an extra person per meter after 2 meters rule applies. particularly if your a small person, you should have a freind about to help with large snakes.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. :wink:

LOL you are right about one thing. When they start to constrict, there is LOT OF STRENGHT. I named one of my past coastal Handcap. And reason for that was that once I handled him, he wrapped arownd my hands and really tithly constricted. I had this biological handcaps for 5 minutes till my hands went blue. Cold water did the trick. He was only about 1.8 metre juvy.

wow. so how do you handle these snakes if you don't put them around your neck? I've only ever handled pythons by putting them over my shoulders. And if that juvie had been an adult would the cold water have worked?

LOL I don't think that you have to be woried till your python reach 2.5 metre in lengh. And by that time you will know your snake and what to expect.

Just remember that a python is mostly muscle controlled by a very small brain and you will do fine ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back