Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Darwins get a bad rap. They are no more aggressive than any other of the carpet pythons. You get good and bad ones, the same as any species.

Darwins get a bad rap. They are no more aggressive than any other of the carpet pythons. You get good and bad ones, the same as any species.

That's what I always say about waters.
Probably file snakes are about as placid as they get.

I think ackie has it closest, although blind snakes will make you stink, so I'd replace them with something else, perhaps corn snakes. Inland taipans are usually very good. I wouldn't put any species of python on the top ten list.

I wouldn't put any species of python on the top ten list.
Why is that sdaji?And are we talking wild or captive bred snakes?

I haven't got much of an idea on elapids but with pythons captive bred and wild i would have to say bhp's are the most placid,and yes i have heard of a few exceptions but never come across any that have bitten and although they huff and puff a lot,once picked up they are big sooks.

Why is that sdaji?

That is because there are more than ten species of snake which are more placid and less likely to bite than any python.

And are we talking wild or captive bred snakes?

Either way. Obviously you can only compare species' temperaments with equal levels of handling. ie it's no good comparing a 10 year captive children's python with a freshly caught carpet. With an equal amount of handing (whether it's none or heaps) there are some very placid snake species in comparison to python species. People (especially in Australia) are most familiar with well handled pythons because they're popular pets.

Well shouldn't we keep this to Australian snakes seeing as that's what we all keep?I would still say a bhp wild or captive bred with no handling at all would have to be in the top ten of Australian snakes in my opinion!!!

Well shouldn't we keep this to Australian snakes seeing as that's what we all keep?

It's fine to do so, but that wasn't what the thread's original question asked. I would say the top ten Australian snakes would all be elapids. Especially some of the small insectivorous ones, they just don't bite. Blind snakes won't bite either, but they'll let you have it with foul smelling anal gland secretions. Goo!

Fair nuff mate,but i am guessing the question of the thread is pointed at snakes that are available to most of us and what most of us keep...maybe the starter of the thread can clarify that!!!

Yeah, I suppose there is a fair chance that's what the intended meaning was :) Although there is a very big misconception among reptile keepers that the best known species are the most friendly, and also a very strong misconception that highly venomous species will bite if given the opportunity.

Anyway, if you want to talk about the species most easily available and commonly kept in Australia, you're limited to a small handfull of species, all of which are pythons. My vote would be to murray darling carpets, east coast water pythons and olives.

I've seen a heap of really nasty black headeds, they all hatch out crazy but I've also seen lots of big captive bred ones which are insane, a friend of mine has one which is so stupid that it repeatedly bites the edges of the glass doors of its cage, tongs, hide boxes or whatever else is available, breaking teeth and all but still not stopping and enthusiasticall chewing away! Even when there's no food smell! Never seen such a nasty and dopey snake! Obviously you've seen a lot of really nice ones and few nasty ones, I suppose you'd just have to put it down to chance that our experiences have been so different and yours may well be more representative of the species as a whole than mine. It's interesting that opinions vary so strongly between keepers on this topic. Often it's obviously because someone gets their first snake and it's either nasty or nice and suddenly they're an expert and know the nature of every member of that species, but sometimes it's probably due to chance and shows how variable they can be and how difficult it is to work out without seeing a large number of individuals.

RE: Re: RE: Opinnion: Top 3 Most Placid Snakes

but they'll let you have it with foul smelling anal gland secretions. Goo!
Isn't that a form of agression? Or more correctly, not being placid

Yes, that's why I said "they won't bite but...." and didn't include them.

diamonds, diamonds and diamonds - purely as that is all I own at this stage. I can't really answer on other species but I am sure that with regular handling, a majority of snakes (not talking elapids here) will generally handle well.

As with every other living thing on the planet, the predictability of ones nature should never be taken for granted, even with snakes with fabulous temperments. Preferance will always influence opinions and I for one have seen numerous people post about Olives being one of their fav handable snakes whereas these things just make me nervous because the ones I have dealt with are just feral in personality. As I have explained to my kids class, you really do have to excuse some snakes having a bit of an attitude at times because without hands or feet i would be feeling like I have had a cruel joke played on me considering all the larger potential causes of harm that could befall me.
On another note I would have to say that i think that snakes can recongnize different handlers too and will treat them accordingly.
Regards rina

Re: RE: Opinnion: Top 3 Most Placid Snakes

Sdaji said:
I would say the top ten Australian snakes would all be elapids. Especially some of the small insectivorous ones, they just don't bite.

I was going to say Hemiaspis signata, the Swamp Snake/Marsh Snake/White-lipped Snake. I've removed well over a dozen out of backyards (mainly mine) in the last 30 years and never had a problem with them at all. They just don't want to bite you.

:p

Hix

hmmm i have to rethink, blindsnakes do thrash around and probably would bite if they could. Im changing my 3 to filesnakes, australian coral snakes and jans banded snakes.

IMO pythons vary in temperament to much to say that one species is aggresive and others arnt.

The reason i chose file snakes is because they wont bite, coral snakes and jans banded wouldnt hurt a fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back