Do problems arise with breeding close relations?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

Reaction score
Lately I've been hearing a lot about people breeding snakes from the same clutch or with parents when wanting to try and create a new morph, but curious as to wether this has been shown to increase the chance of structural and physiological problems like in mammals.

Jay

Not many problems have been attributed at all in snakes, they seem to have a high tolerance of successive inbreeding.
Lizards however have been known to suffer, especially after several generations have been continually bred to each other.

Neil

Re: RE: Do problems arise with breeding close relations?

Gregory said:
It affects humans though. Just have a look at Hozy.

sink the slipper into the poor kid :lol:

RE: Re: RE: Do problems arise with breeding close relations?

It affects humans though. Just have a look at Hozy

Except in Tassie where it is accepted as part of society.. lol

It affects humans though. Just have a look at Hozy.
Hey Greg, you do speak. I thought you had forgotten after all those picture posts. :wink:

I belive some breeders are up to 7th generation inbred animals and they have no problems at all. I am sure there are some ppl with even more generations inbred.

Any recessive defects that may be present in your animals have a greater potential to be expressed with successive inbreeding. Inbreeding is not always a problem... but if a defect is found i would advise against breeding those animals again and get some fresh genes to breed with.

Ever seen a the movie "deliverance"...

As Neil has stated..they do have a high tolerance interbreeding from all i have read also..

cheers

My feeling is that snakes (and reptiles in general) are genetically more stable than mamals and therefore proportionally more resistant to inbreeding problems. What in mamals you might get away with in for 3 generations might take say 10 in reptiles.

Breeding for random defects that you may find is probably a waste of time and bound to end in tears.

If you know that a specific recessive gene is present, and can be easily recognised, it is relatively easy to select for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back