Rip Off!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes but if you are going to sell them SO cheap Dan than its stands to reason that some will take advantage of this and make a quick buck....not fair to the snake being moved around some much...but hay...this is a pet trade like it or not....

I have to agree with that. Did he tell you he wanted the snakes as pets ? Morally wrong I suppose but you weren't ripped off if he paid what was agreed.

Its just not right to do that to Anyone !
You know that if you sell to a commercial dealer they will resell them for a profit but when you sell to another private keeper you expect them to be buying them because they want them, not to profit from them . Micro chips would be good for this reason .

I will keep his name on file so i wont have to deal with someone like that .

I think the purchaser did the wrong thing. I contacted the seller when he put the add in last week and expressed I would come up and buy at least one but want two.
He finally got back to me fri-afternoon and said the original guy come through in the end.

I though fare enough, I can understand wanting to move the whole lot in one hit.
NOW!! I'm spewing to see this thread today.

So I missed out on a bargain so I bought 2 other snakes from another guy for a hell of a lot more. Now one of these snakes I bought seems to sick.

So I paid more and I have a sick snake.. Now (yeh due to my inexperience)

I'm a little peeved, buy what can ya do..... Learn from it I guess DAM IT!!

Report him for what?? he didn't do anything illegal. what he did was just morally wrong.

Gotta wait till he does sell them though. But what would they really do? Not much I would think. John has made himself out to be a scumbag so thats the best we can do, just remember him.

playwell said:
Gotta wait till he does sell them though. But what would they really do? Not much I would think. John has made himself out to be a scumbag so thats the best we can do, just remember him.

If it's his first offence, he may only get a warning.

IMO, what he did was wrong because he does not know these animals.
Someone like me comes along, asks questions about these animals, then what? He lies! A newbie buys an animal they really know nothing about.

Isn't it legal to make up to $20,000 from a hobby without paying or declaring for tax purposes ? Wasn't this recently covered in another thread ? I can't see why your mate was fined really

he was told $5000 but he also didnt clam $2000 of board he was charging hes son (they found that out by asking centerlink) all im saying is be carful.

I'm not sure how it works in other states but here in QLD, a Pet Shop should only buy from registered breeders since they have to send transaction reports to the EPA and the info also goes to the taxman. Some pet shops do buy from hobby breeders but never warn them about the possible tax problems. Better to be safe than sorry and sell things privately if you don't have an ABN.
My take on this whole thread is that once you sell something, and you get what you wanted for it, There's not much you can do about what the buyer does with it. Life sucks that way. But I beleive that what goes around comes around.

I also have been caught over the years by these type of people .You give them a discount and at times i may even say !Look il give it to you at a grately reduced price (trying to help the person) but if for some reson you have to get rid of it !At least offer it back to me first at the same price.And usualy because its my stock and id rat5her have something in my collection that i bred myself and knowing its been raised correctly.And most people will promise to (they will say anything they have to to get it cheap)And you never hear back from them >but when they do sell it and useualy at a grate profit they are quick to tell the unknowing buyer that it was breed by me as a selling piont(yeah its one of aussie pytrhons bred animals)Or some will even say they produced it them selfs.Anyway it realy gets my blood bioling .And if its the next day its even worse!You know then that they just handled you .THats why N.P.W.S have the 6 mounth hold rule to trey and stop the people trying to be dealers.re3gards SHANE

RE: Re: Rip Off!!!

You can only live and learn. We have spent time before giving people alot of info on how to keep herps. As they leave they have said that it's too expensive to buy one legally but since they now know how to keep them now they will just grab one from the bush. Since then we have decided that if they cannot produce proof of a license, they get zero advice, cant buy any food for reptiles or accessories. I dont complain, i just cut them out.

All these people who dont think its wrong may change there minds when it happens to them .
I'm with you Mick. I was surprised at some of the members that thought it was OK to do this to someone.

further more...what is the big deal...it happens in all thing sellables and buyables, houses, cars..and as far as the six month rules...come on Dan you have had reptiles coming in and out like it going out of fashion.....and talk about making a profit...take your mulgas for eg, you got them for $80 each you wanted to sell them for $500 the pair and the were not even a year old 6-8 month I believe, ya cant tell me you spent $340 on them in that time!! also the flavs, you got them for $450 for to you tried to sell $500 for 1???? your a mate but I want let other people get slandered for what others including yourself aslo do.

I believe it is wrong when "GIVEN" a reptile that you turn around and sell it....but if you have purchesed it for the asking price...its no ones ******** what you do there on after....

To expand further upon my agreement with PilbaraPythons earlier, I don't believe it is wrong to sell reptiles for a profit (I would like to myself oneday), there are alot of people who do it and some have even replied on this thread, I do have a problem with people who sell for a profit and WHO HAVE NO REGARD FOR THE ANIMALS!! This particular person is doing the wrong thing to sell these animals IMMEDIATELY after buying them, they should at least be given time to recover from the stress of the first move (not to mention they should wait the 6mths as required), and furthermore selling them without giving a full background (trouble feeder and so on) on them puts the animal at high risk of death if an inexperienced herper buys it.

I also agree that it was wrong to lie to a person when purchasing animals, as a seller you have the right to refuse the sale of any animals and should have all the facts before making the decision to sell to anyone, the problem is that it is human nature to be immoral, we have all done it at one time or another and will probably all do it again, this of course is no excuse for doing it, but this is something we all have to deal with. Given this exact same situation I also would be upset.

Just my opinion,
Cheers.

"Once you sold it BAD LUCK, IT KNOW LONGER BELONGS TO YOU, sure unlike yourself i'd not be happy, and would feel a-little disheartened with it all, and yes it has happened to me. If you have done right in your mind then thats all that matters at the end of the day, pick yourself up and get on with it........theres always some mongrel thats going to take your good nature for a ride, but remember every dog has it day, as someone mentioned 'what comes around goes around', some people are just users....."

AGAMIDAE said:
and talk about making a profit...take your mulgas for eg, you got them for $80 each you wanted to sell them for $500

If I remember rightly I think I was asking $350 for the 8 month old pair of Mulga's. I sell my animals for what I think they are worth and for what I would expect to pay if I was the buyer. Yes I did only pay $80 each for them as 1 day old hatchlings as I bought pretty much the whole clutch and the seller was a friend of mine. I don't think it was a crime asking $350 for the pair when they had reached 3ft in length and were feeding on rats. Anyway, yes I do make a profit from time to time on animals that I have bred or raised since hatchlings. I sold all my yearling Coastal Carpets for around $100 each and sub-adults for aroung $190 each, because (as with the Mulga's) I think that is what they are worth! I don't hear anyone complaing about that.....

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back