Rip Off!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trouser said:
I reckon ozherpconservations just ticked off because he got ripped. Are people going to start putting crap on Tim Mensforth for selling reptiles for a profit? Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes and spilt milk.

I have to disagree with that point of view.

I've been breeding cockatiels for a long time, but not in big numbers, just a dozen or so a year if I'm lucky. I handrear a lot of the chicks and then sell them to petshops at the going rate. They then increase the price (usually double it), and I accept that.

But if a friend is interested in getting one, I'll sell it to them at a ridiculously low price - mates rates sort of thing. I've even given them away on rare occasions to special friends.

If I did that for a friend, and then found the next day they were advertising the bird - or had sold it - at the retail price (double what I would have sold it for), I'd be pretty damn pi$$ed off. If I know beforehand my friend wants to sell it for profit, then I'll sell it to them for the price I sell to the petshops. That way the only one who loses out on the deal is the petshop.

Ozherp did a deal on the snakes. He wasn't selling to a dealer, but to a fellow herp, that he thought was interested in acquiring the snakes for his collection.

Daniel has right to feel ripped off.

Just my $460.00 worth.

:p

Hix

Hix said:
Trouser said:
I reckon ozherpconservations just ticked off because he got ripped. Are people going to start putting crap on Tim Mensforth for selling reptiles for a profit? Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes and spilt milk.

I have to disagree with that point of view.

I've been breeding cockatiels for a long time, but not in big numbers, just a dozen or so a year if I'm lucky. I handrear a lot of the chicks and then sell them to petshops at the going rate. They then increase the price (usually double it), and I accept that.

But if a friend is interested in getting one, I'll sell it to them at a ridiculously low price - mates rates sort of thing. I've even given them away on rare occasions to special friends.

If I did that for a friend, and then found the next day they were advertising the bird - or had sold it - at the retail price (double what I would have sold it for), I'd be pretty damn urinateed off. If I know beforehand my friend wants to sell it for profit, then I'll sell it to them for the price I sell to the petshops. That way the only one who loses out on the deal is the petshop.

Ozherp did a deal on the snakes. He wasn't selling to a dealer, but to a fellow herp, that he thought was interested in acquiring the snakes for his collection.

Daniel has right to feel ripped off.

Just my $460.00 worth.

Hix

Your cockatiel analogy is a little irrelevant. I think everone would be pi$$ed if a friend did that to them. This wasn't Daniel's friend. Now lets say you sold a bird to someone through the paper and then saw that they advertised it straight away for a profit? Yes I would imagine you would feel a little duped and would probably never sell to them again, as all of us would also, but that doesn't mean you've been ripped off.

As I see it he payed the price asked and Daniel was happy with that at the time. I don't understand how that means he was ripped off. Now I'm not saying that what this guy tried to do was the most morally correct thing to do but apart from the 6 month rule he has unfortunately not done anything wrong.

Just out of curiosity has anyone ever made a buyer sign a document saying that they have first right to buy back if the new buyer sells. I think some dog breeders do something like this. Would certainly stop something like this happening again.

Mick

When i first got into the hobby i was lucky to buy forest dragons off a guy in Queensland who sold me the best 2 animals ever. Since then i have met plenty of people who will rip you off with anything to do with prices to telling you something is captive raised when you know damn well it hasn't once it has arrived, and its not just an interstate thing either. I got a lizard recently off somone with a top reputation and the animal had skin restrictions and missing all but 4 toes and three of those toes will fall off they are so badly damaged. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to avoid this excpt perhaps let others know when you have been shafted and stick to the people you know and are comfortable in dealing with.
Simone.

buck said:
Your cockatiel analogy is a little irrelevant. I think everone would be urinateed if a friend did that to them. This wasn't Daniel's friend. Now lets say you sold a bird to someone through the paper and then saw that they advertised it straight away for a profit? Yes I would imagine you would feel a little duped and would probably never sell to them again, as all of us would also, but that doesn't mean you've been ripped off.

If I didn't know them, they wouldn't have got a deal. They would pay the same as I charge the petshops. If they choose to onsell and make a profit, then fine. If they make an enormous profit, then next time I'll sell them for more.

Ozherp did a deal, for a fellow herp (not a friend) that he thought was interested in expanding his collection. I can understand how he feels.

Hix

Thanks Hix.

Buck, I have not once said that I have been ripped off. I got what I wanted for them, which is fine. What p****s me off is the lies I was told, Especially with the yearling (fussy feeder). I was reluctant to sell that snake but the buyer told me that if I was to sell it to him it would be going to a good home and he would put plenty of time into feeding it, so I said ok, as long as it's going to a good home you can have it for $50. I thought I was doing the guy a favour only to find it being offered for sale just 12 hours later for 5 times that price. And it would have been some poor beginner that bought that snake, not knowing about it's feeding habits and then losing it a couple of months later. That's what p****s me off! Anyhow, it's all water under the bridge now. The guy has had his warning and I am happy with that...

Daniel

So did jonno get thru to him? did he reply? what did he say?

I think when Jonno emailed him he had already had the warning from NPWS and removed the add so I don't think he replied.

Daniel

DISGRACEFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! If I was to personally buy these pythons of OzHerp and for whatever reason I needed to sell them urgently, I would not sell them for more than I paid for them out of principle.

ozherpconservation said:
Thanks Hix.

Buck, I have not once said that I have been ripped off.

I realise that. What I said was in reference to Hix's(and other's) comment that you have the right to feel ripped off. I fully understand that you were p****d off as anyone would be.

Mick

I think the moral of the story is to only do favors for family, friends and people who have proven to be genuine buyers. This way there would be no room for significant profit by those that wish to be untruthful about their intentions. This is harsh on the first time genuine buyers but like has been said before, a reputation in the herp world as a seller is hard to get and easy to lose, why should it be any different for a buyer. IMO. :)

Ricko said:
hey marc just wanted to know wether u still had the mulgas or not?
and what are they like as handlers?

Nar Dans got them back....they were not to bad but would bite you if given the oppertunity, the male was very narky

buck said:
ozherpconservation said:
Thanks Hix.

Buck, I have not once said that I have been ripped off.

I realise that. What I said was in reference to Hix's(and other's) comment that you have the right to feel ripped off. I fully understand that you were p****d off as anyone would be.

Mick

Point taken, Buck. I use the term 'ripped off' not just to refer to financial deprivation, but also when your time and efforts have been wasted. When I feel I've been lied to, betrayed, or taken for a ride, then I feel ripped off.

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back